Used 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Very nice van
By Jakers

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van after owning many Chrysler vans and like this one much better, has ample power, lots of options and no problems after 55,000 miles (90000 kilometers). Added the center analog clock and it dressed up the interior.

Seats, steering wheel controls, turn signals in outside mirrors, temp.and directions overhead.

Cruise indication on dash.

Quality?
By Frank

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used, presently has 45,000. The brakes squeal and we were told twice that there is no problem. My wife went out of town and attempted to open my rear door and the handle fell off for no reason. The engine runs strong and the van has a good amount of pickup. The mileage could be better. This is a step down from the Windstar we had to replace due to an accident. You could make a better choice.

Steering wheel audio controls and zoned heating/cooling

Get rid of the upper dash compartment or redesign it with better materials. Coins fall into the twilight zone due to spaces in the compartment.

Bad brakes
By cskline34

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this for two years, was looking for something reliable for the family. Had to replace the rear pad at 45,000 and I can't get the rear calipers to compress, even with the tool to turn the piston. In short they are cheap crap. I have the 4.2 engine which has plenty of power and makes it fun to drive. The interior is very low cost feeling though. My biggest complaint is the brakes on this van. They are just unacceptable and will have me selling it as soon as I replace the calipers.

Engine 4.2L only.

Change brake manufacturer and warranty the existing vans. This is a common problem I have seen on the web now that I have looked. Ford is not doing anything about it though.

Very Happy
By Bri66

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We drove last summer to Yellowstone. Handled very well both on side roads and highway. Pushed it hard for several days driving and found it very comfortable to drive.

Wife loves it very much. Very happy with her purchase. Inside very roomy and very comfortable.

Replaced original tires at very low mileage, worn. Does not handle that well on snow covered roads.

Way too many electrical problems!
By Tommy

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

It drove great for the first 2 years. In August of 2006 we took it in to have routine maintenance and it has never been the same. It has had too many electrical problems to list as well as having to replace the transmission. Out of the past 6 months, I have only driven it about 2 weeks. The rest of the time it has been in the shop. I hope I get a new vehicle or they give me the replacement value on it for another vehicle. I am the grandson of a former lifetime Ford employee and have been a devout Ford buyer. This has really made me upset. I just hope they do the right thing. It is even worse because I am in the military and this is my wife's vehicle. It has made my life miserable!

DVD system, fold down back seat, and removable back bucket seats.

Recall this van now! It is a lemon! First fix all the electrical problems. The 6 CD changer could be more user friendly and quicker. The DVD screen had some issues when folding it up and down then playing DVDs it would have a messed up picture on the screen. Ford, do the right thing and recall!