Used 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Bought this brand new falling apart
By momma2

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this since my husband is an employee of Ford and we do everything suppose to change oil etc. Our warranty was up and that day our fuel gage went we got a fuel comm error not found on the manual called around to get prices Ford dealership wants to charge me 400 for diagnostic test not including to fix it. The traction control has a mind on its own works sometimes. I have a honda too its a 97 and we haven't had this many problems. I wanted to buy Ford since my husband works for them but We are already thinking about getting rid of it . They need to recall them!!!

beautiful interior. Love the heated seats we have leather so wonderful leather.

computer needs to be better. Gas mileage is horrible, the swaying is horrible and Traction control doesn't always work . And now our fuel gage doesn't work not sure if need new pump or not.

Flaw in brake cylinder design
By Israel Barbosa

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle is not that good when negotiating a sharp, vehicle leans too much. Rear brake calipers cost me $499.00 they have to be replaced if they extend to far out. Was told by a large reputable brake company, that the caliper is poorly designed and this problem happens frequently with two Ford vans: the Freestar and the Freestyle. the company should address this flaw and replace them with a system that doesn't cost the consumer hundreds to replace Fords poorly designed rear brake system. looking forward to hear something from the Ford company, i'm tempted to inform consumer report, the media etc, etc. Also had to have my 6 cd player changed the disc were getting jammed.

The stereo speaker controls are exceptional, love the seating design, love the power. Also love the design of the exterior of the van.

The anti sway needs to be improved, if you hit a slight bump on a turn it sways out to far, can result in a collision. The Ford company should take the responsibility of calling in these vehicle to replace those defective poorly designed rear calipers so that we don't have to pay hundreds to replace

Not a soccer mom
By Ontoni

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I'm not a soccer mom but i have two teens and a big dog. this vehicle fits the bill. comfort, smooth ride and space. It may not be the fastest thing on the road but it will cruise up to 70 and you'll not even know how you got there.

Built in DVD player

Power doors, remote start, better active security system

Get an Import!
By DIsappointed

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this for two years and have been to the shop numerous times. The handle on the rear door has fallen off three times, for no reason at all. Since the dealership cannot fix it right, my husband has finally just bolted it to work and stay on. We also have had the radio/CD/Tape console replaced. The mileage could be better. The third row seat can only comfortably seat 3 kids. As I write this, it is broken down at the bus stop and I had to haul my 5 & 3 year old home in the rain! I have owned Hondas since 1992 and decided to take a chance on this Ford due to the great price. Sometimes you get what you pay for! Take my advice, buy the Honda. I know I will next time.

Sliding doors, storage space, fold down third seat.

rear door handle, electrical system, cheap interior, gas mileage

Nice van for the money
By Stephen

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought our 2004 Ford Freestar Limited after several months of researching several brands of minivans. Our van is completely loaded and has the Advance Trac and traction control.

The van's interior is well thought out and the 4.2 motor performs well. I also like the safety feature of the Advance trac and traction control.

Poor gas mileage