Used 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Best minivan Ford built
By Mark

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Have almost 90,000 miles on mine and haven't had any mechanical problems. What's more by keeping rpms at 2000 at speed at 55-60 am getting 23 mpg highway. Van is fun to drive. Has a lot of torque for V6 and is comfortable and roomy. Very little fatigue on long trips. Road noise could be a bit better but it's not bad. Owned Windstars before this and this was definitely best one Ford built. Sorry it's not being made anymore.

Powerful V6, exterior styling, taut steering, comfort, room, stereo

More durable switches, better soundproofing. Am noticing some minor flicking of dash lights.

Ford Freestar Review
By Lisa

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My minivan is great exept for 2 things. Acording to my digital dashboard, my fuel economy is currently 14.9. Not so good at $4.00 a gallon gas. My brakes are squeaky. I have had them checked several times, and the brake pads are fine. I was told it's a "Ford thing".

Love the power doors and the two tone paint. I have light blue/silver.

Better fuel economy and fix the braking system so everyone does not stare at me in rush hour traffic.

Don't Buy unless you have lots of money!
By Honda 4 Me

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Well when buying this hellish nightmare called a freestar I thought I was going to be getting a good vehicle. Was I so wrong! About 30,000 km in I started to get a wheel noise brought back to dealer 3x's they couldn't hear it. I asked the mechanic and he said they know what it was but couldn't replace both. I was a bit peeve and now out of warranty I am more peeved! I have 85,000 km and now paint is peeling so I called to Ford today and asked what they are going to do about it and there response is it is your problem. It is a well know fact the primer on these Ford vans is no good! Also went to trade it in and only worth get ready for it $4,000 wow after shelling out $17,000 2 years ago!

It has a 4.2 maybe will be good in the derby!

Yes I would like ford to go to Honda or Toyota and ask them for help or show them how to build vehicles. In my suggestion to other please don't buy anything made in North America it is not what I want! Don't get me wrong i loved ford up until this one. Now i say have you driven a Honda Lately!Try it

Nannie's van
By nannieb43

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've enjoyed driving and hauling with this vehicle for 4 yrs. Because of distance from town and present gas prices, I'm looking for a hybrid to replace it. I will miss the roominess and ability to haul almost anything I need.

Fold down rear seat; cd/tape player/radio; sitting up high enough to see around me; & room to carry 6 more people and plenty of gear.

More fuel efficient; better materials in handles/straps to lower & raise rear seat; & easier to crank switch.

Junk
By padge24

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Torque converter failed at 40,000 miles. Brakes are a constant issue, poor design. Gas mileage is worse than most other minivans. Save your money and look at a different brand of van. I have owned a Ford Escort, Taurus, Ranger p/u, Explorer and currently also drive an F150 p/u. I don't have any complaints with any of those vehicles but the Freestar is a piece of junk. Hope I was clear.

DVD

Start from scratch and redesign a whole new line of passenger vans. The torque converter/transmission issue is a common problem, probably should be a recall. Do not roll the dice, choose another brand.