Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 264 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Buyer-Beware!!! Terrible Transmission
By Mark

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We bought our 2012 Ford Focus SEL 4cyl. Automatic w/overdrive, leather heated seats, tech pkg and even tinted the Windows. This car was purchased main reason of saving on fuel expenses. What are we soon found out was that the transmission works on a dual dry clutch system that has proven to be a reoccurring nightmare month-to-month. I would urge buyers to do in-depth research before purchasing this vehicle as it is and will be a vehicle that needs to go to the shop regularly for transmission resets in computer module issues. In the 1 year we owned the car, I lost hours upon hours of my time waiting on a tow truck to come and pick it up and take it down to the dealer. Also had to open two major cases against Ford motor company. They did nothing about it, therefore I will never buy a Ford vehicle again! Sad to say because I'm a patriot and love the thought of buying American. Just traded it in and lost $3500 to negative equity. Shame on Ford!

Avoid the Focus, buy Toyota instead
By Dean

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For starters, the transmission has some serious issues. It causes way more problems than buyers are aware of. The transmission is faulty, it messes with your entire electrical system, and Ford is the absolute worst when it comes to dealing with this issue. Just now, I can't even get the car to start sometimes. It will stall out on you in the highway and your radio will not work after 40000 miles. Trade it or get rid of it. Avoid any and all Ford cars. It will fail on you eventually.

Buyer Beware! Be AFRAID
By Steve Westcott

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2012 Ford Focus and have been disappointed ever since. It is the worst vehicle I have owned. It has been recalled twice in a year because of transmission problems. I had to take it in again on my own recently. The transmission in these vehicles is a real mess. Save yourself headaches and buy a Corolla. I had one and it was one of the best cars I have owned. I have major buyer's remorse with the Focus. The car even stalled when i was driving on the highway. It is truly a road hazard. The Ford Fiesta has the same transmission problems. The F-150 appears to be the only vehicle made by Ford that's worth it.

Bought Brand New no problems except for recall
By Rob

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2012 brand new. SE Sports & Winter Package. Great, reliable car. Only problem has been the transmission recall that my local dealership took care of (even though it took 3 visits). Has never stalled on me and starts great every time.

nice car
By becheurh@yahoo.com

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Nothing wrong .I hade 64000 miles on it