Used 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Dont Buy
By penny

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Please don't buy this car.....clutch problems fro day one!

Looks great and stylish, but build quality is poor
By John

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is all about looks and style with the only exception the great gas mileage. The suspension is sub par with problems keeping the wheels in alignment. The interior build quality is poor - the headliner is poorly constructed and is noisy. There are dash board rattles at all moderate speeds. The sound system is poor at best.

You get what you pay for - as the old adage goes.

Don't Buy It. Don't Be another Statistic
By Mark

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Don't buy this car. It's not worth taking the chance with the transmission. I bought this car thinking that the transmission problems would get fixed. Bought the car at 28,000. In my first months of having the car, I went to the dealership for shuddering and gear grinding noises.. oh and how the car completely shut down; engine light on and wouldn't go faster than 20 mph. THAT was scary on the freeway. Supposedly it's a safety mechanism. Talked with at Susan with my car at 50,000 at corporate and there's nothing that she can do. My car doesn't count to be a lemon.

It would be a great car if it wasn't for the transmission. Everything else is there but the fundamentals are all shot. And to my surprise, they are still implementing the same faulty transmission even in their new 2016 cars.

I Love This Car!
By Joseph

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I read the reviews about the 2012 Focus before I bought it and I admit that some of the reviews about the auto tranny with the dual clutch had me worried. But when I drive this car, that dual-clutch transmission is what makes the car so peppy. For does a nice job converting the 160 horsepower into an incredibly amount of acceleration for a 4 banger. When I need to move out into traffic, I shift the auto into SPORT mode and give it gas and I am *never disappointed with how quickly this car accelerates, even at highway speeds. I'm not leaving any Mustangs or Corvettes in my dust, but I am making the Hyundai Elantra owners wonder if they made the right choice as they view the beautiful styling of my focus from behind in traffic as I pull away. And if you are worried about the transmission issues that *some people have reported (a minority of owners, not all), then take comfort in the fact that Ford's drive train warranty is 5 years and 60 thousand miles and that warranty transfers with the car. So if you buy it used, you have the warranty. Also, Ford extended the warranty on the part of the transmission that has been troublesome to 100,000 miles. If you like the car, buy it. Don't listen to the naysayers. This is my third Ford and I have enjoyed each one and had good experiences with them all.

HATED THE CAR!!
By Mark Clemson

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my 2012 Ford Focus in October 2014. I should have done the research, but I didn't. I test drove the car and noticed a little shutter and how it went backwards on the hill, but didn't think anything of it. I should have!!!

Within two weeks of having the car, my breaks started squeaking. I thought I needed to changed my brake pads. They said they were fine and couldn't duplicate the problem. Then two weeks later, it start stuttering to the point the car would shake every time I hit the gas to get the car moving. Took the car back and thankfully the warranty covered that. The brakes continued to squeak and I just had my mechanic change the brake pads anyway and the squeaking stopped.

The car worked fine for a while then all of a sudden the stuttering came back and also when I would drive in the city and hit a even a small bump it felt like the back of my car would fall apart. I took the car in and was told I needed new shocks in the back. $450 dollars later I had new shocks and a realignment and that noise was still there!!! The stuttering would happen EVERYTIME I hit the brake and then the gas.

Finally after dealing with this for over 6 months, the car violently shook on a hill while trying to accelerate. I couldn't take it anymore and traded it in the next day. I didn't get very much for the car and had to take money out of my Savings account to get my new Nissan Altima. Didn't want to, shouldn't have had to, but it was a great decision.

I had my 2012 Ford Focus for a year and dumped almost $1000 of my own money on repairs and only put on 13,000 miles on the car. This was a complete POS and the biggest waste of money ever!!

DON'T BUY THIS CAR, YOU WILL REGRET IT!