Used 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Focus
By James Rubin

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Buyer Beware
By Bill Smith

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car new and have had nothing but troubles with transmission. This car should be on recall as it is a safety issue when driving at highway speeds and car decides to buck and jump. Just traded it on a new Camry will never buy another Ford car. Real disappointment and the dealer could only make excuses. This car could get you killed when driving at highway speeds. Read the internet it is full of horror stories regarding the transmission. Purchased this car with the hopes it would be a dependable vehicle and then had to trade it in to get something dependable. Ford is terrible to deal with, don't buy this car if it is your primary driver as it will let you down and Ford will only make excuses for an inferior product. The Focus rates there with the flaming Pinto.

Good reliable car
By Jack Driscoll

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a good car for past 4 years. Disappointed in the resale value.

Ford Motor Company - F=Fix O=Or R=Repair D=Daily!
By TW - Unsatisfied Customer!

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus SEL in August 2012. Brand new car with no mileage. After a few weeks of having the car, it happened, your worst nightmare....MAJOR manufactured Ford Motor Company parts just failed and caused me a world of spending time-off from work, commuting back and forth, and just a very stressful time dealing with car issue after car issue daily and weekly, and on a "NEW" car!! Every year from 2012-2016 I have had "MAJOR" mechanical, technological, and Ford Motor Company manufactured parts issues! How is this fair to your customers? How can Ford Motor Company "NOT" help to resolve these issues rightfully with the customer? What ever happened to "Ethics" and "Morals", doing the RIGHT thing by your customer? The Executive Chair states in their Website, “I believe the purpose of a company is to make people’s lives better,” he says. “That is how we became great in the past and it is how we will become even greater in the future.” This is a false statement. Many consumer lives have been turned upside down, inside out, and damaged due to Ford Motor Company!! This is not acceptable customer service! Ford Motor Company has not created any "EHTICAL & RIGHT" strategy or plan to "HELP" their customers with car issues due to Ford Motor Company "FAULT". They are making us pay for Ford Motor Company mistakes! What ever happened to Customer Care??

Good looking but the quality is not there
By Patric Pederson

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So I am just going to say this outright (and this is coming from someone that had owned 6 Fords in 13 years) this car has turned me away from Ford Motor Company. When I bought it, I traded a perfectly good 2010 Focus SE. I really wish I hadn't done that. Sure, the car is pretty fun to drive and it gets pretty great gas mileage but the transmission just puts a dark cloud over all of that. I have had it in the shop 5 times for transmission issues. Fortunately, they have all been covered repairs. One of these episodes left us on the side of the road during our Memorial Day 2015 weekend trip. Its a good thing the breakdown happened just outside of our hometown and our dealership is awesome (always gave me a free loaner). I am having issues with the transmission again and this time I am out of the extended warranty for the vehicle. According to my service advisor, the cost of repair is somewhere in the neighborhood of $1600. Along with those issues, there is a really annoying clunky sounding rattle coming from the rear door. I cannot figure out what it is. Also since almost the beginning of its life, there have been multiple rattles (seems to come from around the headliner). I am trying to get into another vehicle but the value pretty sad and I will have to roll negative equity into a new loan.