Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Terrible car.
By Grace

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my very first car. Test driving it was exciting and everything ran smooth, I loved having an aux and something that drove smooth. Less than a day after buying the car, Ford's idiotic transmission problems shined bright. Every time I stepped on the gas the car would stutter forward, sometimes stuttering for more than 5 seconds (which is a long a** time to be stuttering) and finally lurched forward. At first I thought I was just on a bumpy road and my car was sensitive, until it did it constantly no matter where I was. It's been over a year of having it and I can't wait to buy a new car. DO NOT buy a ford focus, I do not know how so many people drive such a terrible car.

One big POS
By GregP

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Do not buy the 2012 Focus. I will not be buying another Focus ever. This was my second focus. The first one was a 2003, manual transmission and it was actually a good car. But in 2012 Ford went to the DCT transmission and it obviously wasnt ready for production release. I've had this car in the ford dealership 8 times in two and a half years. Finally got the TCM replaced after taking it in three times on the issue of 'No Start' where the TCM doesnt allow the car to start. This left me stranded a couple times and ford would not replace it because they werent getting the right codes to read out when I would take it in, was very frustrating. The transmission is the worst ive ever experienced in any car. It hesitates so badly that I've almost caused a couple wrecks.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By kc

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First of all the transmission is terrible. my 2012 hatchback has had me stranded many times. On top of that the whole fuel system malfunctioned an had to be replaced. Ford should take these cars off the streets an give the people who have them something else something SAFE to drive.

Fun to drive but not well built
By Eric Storey

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The Ford Focus Titanium is a very sporty and fun to drive car. However I have had three manufacturers recalls, the transmission shudders, the sound system is poor. Most problems are covered under the warranty but because of known problems the car has three different warranties extending the warranties on drive train and electronics.

Think twice before buying
By TH

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Focus used but with only 6k miles. Think twice before purchasing one used. The car has several great attributes. Even 5 years later, the styling is still great. For a small car it looks fantastic and accelerates, brakes, and handles much better than most economy cars are supposed to. Plus, the fuel economy is excellent. Around town, i routinely average 28-32 mpg and have seen as good as 38 on the freeway. All of these great traits are ruined however by very shoddy reliability. Its mainly highlighted by a horrible transmission that shudders, slips, and bangs at all speeds but mostly at initial acceleration. The dealership will do nothing for you except a reflash of the computer and tell you its within Ford technical specs. My car had a major radiator failure at 26k miles and had to have it completely replaced. I also had to have all the weatherstripping replaced before 20k miles. With 38k miles currently, the car has huge amounts of rattles and squeaks and the front suspension feels like a school bus over bumps.