Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 263 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Ford Motor Company - F=Fix O=Or R=Repair D=Daily!
By TW - Unsatisfied Customer!

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus SEL in August 2012. Brand new car with no mileage. After a few weeks of having the car, it happened, your worst nightmare....MAJOR manufactured Ford Motor Company parts just failed and caused me a world of spending time-off from work, commuting back and forth, and just a very stressful time dealing with car issue after car issue daily and weekly, and on a "NEW" car!! Every year from 2012-2016 I have had "MAJOR" mechanical, technological, and Ford Motor Company manufactured parts issues! How is this fair to your customers? How can Ford Motor Company "NOT" help to resolve these issues rightfully with the customer? What ever happened to "Ethics" and "Morals", doing the RIGHT thing by your customer? The Executive Chair states in their Website, “I believe the purpose of a company is to make people’s lives better,” he says. “That is how we became great in the past and it is how we will become even greater in the future.” This is a false statement. Many consumer lives have been turned upside down, inside out, and damaged due to Ford Motor Company!! This is not acceptable customer service! Ford Motor Company has not created any "EHTICAL & RIGHT" strategy or plan to "HELP" their customers with car issues due to Ford Motor Company "FAULT". They are making us pay for Ford Motor Company mistakes! What ever happened to Customer Care??

Frosty
By JEH

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Ford stands by their warranties

Good looking but the quality is not there
By Patric Pederson

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So I am just going to say this outright (and this is coming from someone that had owned 6 Fords in 13 years) this car has turned me away from Ford Motor Company. When I bought it, I traded a perfectly good 2010 Focus SE. I really wish I hadn't done that. Sure, the car is pretty fun to drive and it gets pretty great gas mileage but the transmission just puts a dark cloud over all of that. I have had it in the shop 5 times for transmission issues. Fortunately, they have all been covered repairs. One of these episodes left us on the side of the road during our Memorial Day 2015 weekend trip. Its a good thing the breakdown happened just outside of our hometown and our dealership is awesome (always gave me a free loaner). I am having issues with the transmission again and this time I am out of the extended warranty for the vehicle. According to my service advisor, the cost of repair is somewhere in the neighborhood of $1600. Along with those issues, there is a really annoying clunky sounding rattle coming from the rear door. I cannot figure out what it is. Also since almost the beginning of its life, there have been multiple rattles (seems to come from around the headliner). I am trying to get into another vehicle but the value pretty sad and I will have to roll negative equity into a new loan.

DO NOT BUY THE 2012 FORD FOCUS
By Lisa Cooke

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought a used 2012 Ford Focus SEL. While its a sharp looking car, the amount of time it has spent in the shop is ridiculous. The dual clutch is a joke. It went into the shop for shuddering, they replaced the TCM or reprogrammed it (not sure which one).. It lasted a few months but then had to go back into the shop for the same thing. they replaced the clutch. That was 4 mons ago and it is now back in the shop to replace the clutch AGAIN. if I didn't have a warranty, I would be trading it in just to get rid of the headache

Great Car With a Few Caveats
By T

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car, albeit with a few minor nitpicks. It's fast for a base model, drives great with the 5 speed (I did not want the DCT!), handles fairly well and visibility is very good. Power delivery is linear, throttle response has only a very slight lag from the drive by wire system (1/10th of a second or so) and it really comes alive above 4k RPM. The electric power assist isn't as good for road feedback as hydraulic, but is better than other electrics I tested by far. The interior is somewhat on the small side, especially in the back but is just large enough for me and the seats are high quality for basic cloth. The only real nitpicks are the lack of S level features and a few noisy interior parts-no cruise, manual rear windows and no computer functionality except a trip meter. The engine is a bit coarse also and really needs super to run right. I can live with this considering I rarely use cruise and almost never have rear passengers, but do miss having a realtime MPG calculator. The sound system is adequate, but somewhat mediocre in terms of fidelity. Coming from an older VW GTI, this car has almost the same HP, handling, steering feel and responsiveness while getting much better gas mileage. I've had no maintenance issues except having to replace a dirty air filter and a missing brake fluid cap that someone had sealed with plastic wrap and a rubber band (??).