Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 266 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

HEADACHE!!!
By Elizabeth

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased this vehicle in May of 2015 the first month I had it it was great then started shifting hard. On Saturday September 26 I was drving on i44 through springfield and my car slammed itself in to park while I was going 70. I drove my car 3 hours to get it fixed due to my town refused to fix it. The car has a recall on the tcm. I got my car back on october 1 the car was in for 4 days and my check engine light just came on saying " transmission malfunction service now" I have the biggest headache with this vehicle right now I hwve to get the rpms up to 4 grand just for it to shift out of 1st gear. I am so sick of Ford dealerships saying "thats just how the Focus is made" "its going to do that for the life of the vehicle"...... Love the gas millage just not the headache

I'm losing my job and livelihood over this thing!
By John the car guy

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

WARNING: 6 Paragraphs Long! Patient/caring readers only

The number one thing you have to watch out for is that ridiculous auto/manual/automatic transmission.
In all due honesty I absolutely love everything else about this car. I love the seats, I love the handling, I love
the entertainment system, I love the engine, and I love the color and style. But that transmission is such
a negative that it takes away all the positives. I can't enjoy the rest of the car when the transmission never
shifts correctly. It's most annoying habits to me were the loss of acceleration in 3rd gear and up. 1st and 2nd
gear pulled just fine. Whenever it shifted into 3rd, there would always be a nasty chattering sound and acceleration
would drop. Next, the transmission would not let me accelerate to passing speeds on the highway, especially
on an incline. I put the foot down, the transmission downshifts, the car starts to accelerate, and just as soon
as the engine picks up in RPM, it up shifts, killing the acceleration. I found that to pass effectively in this car I had
no choice but to give it full throttle. Not what I call an economical pass.

Now, this is ALL bad news about the tranny... now let me explain the title of my review. My car is sitting at my workplace,
collecting dust and God knows what, because the transmission can't figure out what gear it was last in and therefore
IT WILL NOT START. This is a major issue that I have read HUNDREDS of reviews on from loyal Focus owners. It's just 2000
miles out of its powertrain warranty, so Ford is giving me the middle finger and has the audacity to tell me that it's a
'normal issue' (a normal problem... who would have thought) and that I'm already looking at roughly $2000 to get it fixed.

Problem is... I'm a low level bachelor who doesn't exactly have the largest savings account built up in my young existence.
I know it may have been stupid to finance a car without a respectable financial foundation, but I've always known the
Focuses to be very good cars. I got a decent deal with my non-existent credit, and I could afford it, and then some. Paying
for preventive maintenance is not a problem for me. Paying for extensive repairs when I've done my part in keeping
the car stays in tip-top condition IS a problem.

So right now, I've got a dead car sitting at my job 24 miles away, my bank account is getting thinner, and let's just say my
family and friends are too 'busy' to help out a brother in a time of great need. I am in good with my boss, but he called and
told me that he can't keep flexing for me and will have to let me go and hire someone else. If I lose my job, then I lose the
car. And if I lose the car... well... fat chance getting another job to buy another car with because with no car and can't transport
myself to and from a job and this is just a spiral of doom developing before me.

All of this... because Ford basically released an overly-complex, software-dependent, unproven and flawed transmission design
to the public that can and WILL fail. After reading so much dirt on the transmission, I drove to work everyday feeling fearful
that it would let me down... and it happened. I can't hate the car as much as I can hate Ford for such an asinine support.

Expensive repairs... failed repairs... DEATHS. I have come across so much material from other Focus owners that has made
me decide to NOT have it fixed. Hopefully I can find some way out of the loan and get myself in something with a good old
fashioned manual transmission before I lose my job and/or my life over this mess.

Piece of crap
By Melissa

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Beyond what is considered normal grinding noises and hesitation to accelerate by ford, my 2012 focus decided to just stop in the middle of the road while driving. I commute and this could have been a serious safety concern if I would of been on a major highway. Other problems was the interior plastic was shaking and not put together well, coming apart only after a few months. In the winter my drivers side window does not open. And it is the worst car I have ever driven in the snow!!!!! Dont waste your $$$ buying this overpriced POS.

Do NOT buy this car
By Madison

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2012 Ford Focus in September of 2014. I got it Pre-Certified with only 16,000 miles on it. When I test drove it, it was a great ride, pretty quiet, and comfy. I noticed a little jerking when starting from a dead stop and I thought it was just because it was touchier than my old car. So I fell in love with it and purchased it. About 2 months later, the jerking was so bad that my passengers were complaining about it. I took it into McCafferty Ford where I purchased it and had it serviced. The mechanic told me this was a common problem so he "reprogrammed" the transmission and sent me on my way. A month or two later I took it back and the clutch needed to be replaced after putting about 2,000 miles on it. Now, I am going through the same issue for the SECOND TIME IN LESS THAN A YEAR. When I go back to the dealership Thursday, I am claiming lemon law and getting a different car. I also got hit by a tractor trailer when I was merging because the transmission stuck and wouldn't accelerate. It's dangerous. Seriously, don't waste your money.

worst car I have ever owned!
By Melissa

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had problems with this car since I bought it in 2012. It first started with electrical problems, then transmission and now it just won't start. The parts to fix car are expensive. Ford charges 150 just to look at it. I will never buy another Ford! It is by far the worst car I have ever owned.