Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 265 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Big disappointment!
By T

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I was completely in love with this car when I first bought it back in aug. 2014. I was upgrading from a falling apart suzuki forenza. Honestly, even though my forenza was falling apart, it drove smoother and was a lot more quiet. My focus shutters, hesitates, sticks in gear, has loss of power, sometimes I can barely get it to move which is scary when I am turning at a traffic light....It is also very loud! The entire interior rattles like a tin can, the dash, the door panels and the headliner and its super loud. The engine does this really annoying ticking sound that nobody at the dealership seems to care about. I have brought this car in over 5 times now and to 2 different dealerships and I keep getting the "its normal" for that transmission to drive wacky. But seriously, I pay good money to have a car that drives rough and sounds like a rattling tin can and you cant fix it or even attempt to because it wont give the "proper" readings for them to be allowed to order the parts? This is my first and last Ford and I gotta say it sucks. I am bummed out because I really do love the car but I hate the things that are wrong with it even more.

Another story of a transmission problem
By Cynthia Beard

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I was rolling along in traffic on a main interstate highway and 2012 Ford Focus suddenly would not accelerate and then stalled. This was followed by all sorts of things lighting up on my dash, and the car would not re- start, wouldn't turn over, nothing. I was lucky to be able to get over to the shoulder of the highway, although it was on the left side of the road, which was super dangerous. Long story short, I was denied roadside assistance (which I thought I was covered under) because my car was no longer under warranty. I had 76,000 and change. My warranty apparently ran out at 60,000. However, this well known transmission problem that exists with this vehicle, is covered under an "extended warranty" up to 150,000 miles (but there's a $100 deductible!!!). So, because there's a faulty issue with this vehicle, a documented, known fault in the manufacturing; my money, time and convenience are not a matter of concern. My car had been properly maintained, in fact had been inspected not a week before this happened, and there was no indication of this happening. This is extremely dangerous and frankly I find it unacceptable that FORD didn't do more to prevent this from happening. There is one Service Advisor at the dealership who was helpful. He has agreed to submit my towing bills for reimbursement. No one was really apologetic or concerned with my satisfaction as a Ford customer. If I was knowingly selling dangerous, faulty vehicles, I would be falling all over myself to make sure I could make the customer happy, if that were possible. Basically the attitude is one of indifference. I thought I was doing a good thing by buying an American car, but I would never buy another Ford again, and will try to trade this vehicle in ASAP. I will buy a Subaru if I can afford it. In short, buyer beware ... transmission problem, Ford not too concerned with customer satisfaction.

Don't Buy It. Don't Be another Statistic
By Mark

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Don't buy this car. It's not worth taking the chance with the transmission. I bought this car thinking that the transmission problems would get fixed. Bought the car at 28,000. In my first months of having the car, I went to the dealership for shuddering and gear grinding noises.. oh and how the car completely shut down; engine light on and wouldn't go faster than 20 mph. THAT was scary on the freeway. Supposedly it's a safety mechanism. Talked with at Susan with my car at 50,000 at corporate and there's nothing that she can do. My car doesn't count to be a lemon.

It would be a great car if it wasn't for the transmission. Everything else is there but the fundamentals are all shot. And to my surprise, they are still implementing the same faulty transmission even in their new 2016 cars.

I Love This Car!
By Joseph

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I read the reviews about the 2012 Focus before I bought it and I admit that some of the reviews about the auto tranny with the dual clutch had me worried. But when I drive this car, that dual-clutch transmission is what makes the car so peppy. For does a nice job converting the 160 horsepower into an incredibly amount of acceleration for a 4 banger. When I need to move out into traffic, I shift the auto into SPORT mode and give it gas and I am *never disappointed with how quickly this car accelerates, even at highway speeds. I'm not leaving any Mustangs or Corvettes in my dust, but I am making the Hyundai Elantra owners wonder if they made the right choice as they view the beautiful styling of my focus from behind in traffic as I pull away. And if you are worried about the transmission issues that *some people have reported (a minority of owners, not all), then take comfort in the fact that Ford's drive train warranty is 5 years and 60 thousand miles and that warranty transfers with the car. So if you buy it used, you have the warranty. Also, Ford extended the warranty on the part of the transmission that has been troublesome to 100,000 miles. If you like the car, buy it. Don't listen to the naysayers. This is my third Ford and I have enjoyed each one and had good experiences with them all.

Fantastic ford focus
By Lucas

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

This car is great. I got it used (only 20k miles) from carmax about 6 months ago. Before it I had a hyundai which was a complete lemon. This car has given me no trouble, except for a few small issues. First, one time I unlocked the car and this loud thudding noise came out of the speakers. Started the car and it went away. Second. Sometimes sync freezes for a few seconds. Third. There is a small vibration when you back up and sometimes the car is sluggish when on a hill. If you can deal with some minor bugs, this car is great. I like the way it drives and looks. Its fantastic quality. I average probably around 30 mpg with a mix of highway and suburb driving. Its great for the price!