Used 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Stalling and Gear Issues
By jenn74really

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased the 2012 Ford Focus in 11-2011.
It was slow initially in responding to the gas.
The reaction time is delayed and losing power.
Over the past year, I am stalled approx. 50 times.
Recently, the gears don't seem to be lined up properly.
When the vehicle is in park, it has rolled.
When the vehicle is in reverse, then drive, the car is still in reverse.
I nearly hit a parked car backing out of a parking lot.
Right after that happened the vehicle stalled and quit completely.
Engine light was on for a short period.
After several attempts to start the vehicle again, I was forced to have a tow truck retrieve the vehicle.
Non-operable and unsafe.
Ford does not see a problem.

Sunroof

Ford Manufacturing will need to either recall this issue or issue full replacement of purchase on these vehicles to the consumer. This car will cause some serious safety issues if not dealt with properly. This is a high risk vehicle to drive and I suggest that Ford repair or issue refunds their buyers.

Last Ford Car
By texasmilitary

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I'm terrified to drive this thing. Much like the other reviews, the shuddering was an issue from the start, but I was told that it was part of the new design. Two years into it, I can tolerate it. However, now the car just decelerates for no reason and the check engine light comes on. Keep in mind that this happens anywhere and anytime, even on a major highway going 70 miles an hour. The first time it scared me so bad.
I took it in and they claimed it was an engine light issue, kept it for two days, fixed it, and sent me on my way. Less than a week later the car has decelerated and come to a complete stop 3 times. I took it back to the dealership...I will update you on their response.

I'm still scared so I can't think of any.

Replace the transmission.

long term test review
By imperial_tie

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

From day one (1JAN2012) this car has been an issue. I have spent more time having the transmission checked than I should. Mine is a Lemon. I've had issues from random loss of power to not starting. There is nothing like being stranded in a parking garage after black Friday shopping. I just bought new tires and am not happy. This may look like a fun hatchback but believe me its a MoneyPit.
This is the last time I buy ford.
43,000 miles, all maintenance current, problem "unable to be duplicated", 10 times it has failed to start.
Ford should really google this problem before stating "it has never been reported issue"

RIMS AND FOG LIGHTS

reliability and suspension

Mixed emotions
By isellthem1

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am very impressed with the overall tightness of the platform and build quality is good. It is one of the best looking hatchbacks out there and I love the handling characteristics of this car but I am so pissed off at Ford for making such a fantastic vehicle and equipping it with an absolute joke of an automatic transmission. I love the concept of feeling the direct drive this torque converter-less transmission provides but the shifting dynamics are sub par. This unit should have never been introduced to the public in its current state. Opt for the 5 speed!

Fold flat rear seats and good cargo room for a compact. Great front bucket seats with 5 way adjustable heat settings. SYNC system makes me look forward to making my call when I'm driving.

Please put the previous auto-box back in!!

Ford Focus Titanium
By racerrich

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Had a 10 Focus and the engine noise was unreal so the salesperson lied through his teeth and said the new 12 fixed the problem. The engine noise is to the point on the I.S. you can not hear the radio without blasting it. The handling Pkg. 18" wheels has you riding as if you were on a Go-Cart! Jerky trans. dealer said thats normal! Gas mileage what a joke unless less you drive 55. Other than that great styling and fun to drive, but it's my last Ford & I've driven them since H.S. and i'm 72. Was going to get a Fuson but my buddy said it was JUNK and in the garage 13 times..[non-permissible content removed]