Used 2012 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 267 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Don't buy
By CT

2012 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car brand new. Within a month I had to have the trunk closure switch replaced.
Shortly after the transmission and clutch went bust.
Both my window switched for the front driver and passenger side stopped working.
I've taken my car to be serviced die to these problems dozens of times since I bought it. It's in the shop again due to transmission problems that have made it dangerous to drive, as it continues to lose acceleration.

Poor reliability and performance
By samc

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

2012 Focus spent $22K new, has 37,000 miles and the transmission needs to be rebuilt, Ford is covering the repair. Passenger window motor is gone and needs to be replaced. the Passenger front seat adjustment mechanism is broke. I would not by a Ford their reliability is terrible . Big mistake on my part.

Fool me once
By Hong

2012 Ford Focus Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Lemon law attorneys... All issues resolved!

Fun car with some quirks
By Old Pony

2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I purchased this car new after my 99 Mustang got blown up by a mechanic replacing its thermostat...arg. Didn't want to pay the price for a new Mustang and didn't like any of the used ones on the lot. I chose the Focus because basically I'm a Ford guy and I thought it might tone down my driving style stepping down to something more civil in my old age lol.
Pros: This is a great handling car and feels very similar to a '72 Datsun 240Z I owned when I was younger. I live along the coast of Northern California and have taken it through the paces so to speak. It is an automatic, but handles the twisties fine. No mechanical issues to report, but I should mention that I drive this car with the traction control off (when traction control on it is terrible in some situations, but be warned you will need to hold on the wheel if you accelerate hard from a stop if turned off).
Cons: I'm not real comfortable with the seat build..kinda like Ford designed it to fit all sizes and I wish it felt snugger. The brakes are great when I'm alone in the car, but found that they could be better with a passenger. My car is actually an SE auto with a few extras. Stereo is barely passable for my taste. Resale value is still pathetic, but I think this is more a mentality.
Overall I'm very happy with this car. Allows me to still have some fun and feel comfortable driving. I got a 2012 Honda Civic once as a loaner during some routine maintenance..not even close when it came to driving experience and ergonomics.

bought it and 3 days later.. new transmission
By JR Gillespie

2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Update:

2 Clutch Packs, 1 TCU, 1 power window motor, 1 sunroof motor, 1 Sync head unit, 1 transmission, 1 brake booster 52,000 miles in 1 year... so all within 8000 miles . I have had to seek a attorney to try and resolve the matter

I went to the local Ford Dealer in Dallas, GA last weekend to look at cars. I found a 2012 SE Hatchback that seemed nice enough, Ford Certified used car, great condition, 40,000miles with 100,000 powertrain and extended 36,000 mile bumper to bumper

It seemed a bit funny on the test drive, all flat terrain but was assured that was normal. Then I took it to work the first time.. on my way home it was mostly uphill

and it slipped at every time I tried to start up from a stop, rolled back at every stop and at speed would lose power and slip out like into neutral

The second day it was even worse so I called the dealer who referred me to service who said it was a easy fix and they had to reprogram the transmission with the new software released this week

dropped the car off this morning and a hour later was told it would require a whole new transmission and they have to order parts which are in short availability and could take weeks before I have my 3 day old car back..

at least they loaned me a fusion..

DO NOT BUY THIS!!!