Used 2009 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Its an OK car
By ss2ray

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving an 09 Focus for sometime now.
I own both a Chevy and Ford, and thought this would be a good car to run around town in and commute with.
I thought one of these cheap eco/gas freindly car, would be a good idea. I am re-thinking this concept.
What you gain in MPGs, you loose in comfort, power, peace of mind, etc.
I would only recommend this car commuter car, if you can tolerate the road noise.
It is noisy! The road noise is horrid, the brakes are soft and slow to respond.
We had to drive this car from NC to El Paso, Texas.
It was the most uncomfortable ride ever.
Look elsewhere if you want to feel and be more comfortable, its worth trading the MPGs for a few $'s.

No real favorites, great for running to walmarts and not worrying if it gets banged up by others.

Sound proofing the car from all the road noise. Tighten the steering. More responsive brakes.

Almost 3yrs with my '09 SE sedan-automatic
By skater69

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in Feb. '09.
Now closing in on 30K miles.
The auto isn't exactly quick but it gets up to speed fast enough.
Very comfortable car and easy to drive.
Great on the highway.....80mph is about 2900rpm only.
Gas mpg close to 30mpg overall.
Higway 35mpg.

Just a nice easy car to drive that's also comfortable with a pretty civilized ride.
I love the leather wrapped steering wheel/cruise control package that my SE came with .

I also like the looks.
No problems at all thus far although I do hear a slight rattle coming from the left rear but it's not nearly audible enough to bother me or be that noticeable.
The stock Hankooks were lame and lasted 25K miles. New Kumhos-better!

gas mileage, leather wrapped steering wheel, comfort, light feel, easy to drive, great low rpm engine on highway, large trunk.

rear light for back seat area

47,000 Mile Report 2009 Focus SES Coupe
By dbk2011

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely well built car. Bought new in Feb '09. Still looks and drives showrooom new without a squeak or rattle. ONLY maintenance to date: Oil & filter changes, tire rotations every 6K miles; replaced air filter.
I ran two bottles of Gumout fuel system cleaner through the tank at 40K. At 47K miles, replaced OEM Kumho 215 45 17 tires with Continental Extreme DWS. Absolutely nothing else. Lifetime average actual fuel consumption in mixed driving is very good 30.6 MPG. Exterior look is distinctive.
It is comfortable, relatively quiet and fun to drive with 5-speed manual. Very little wind noise, average road noise. Ideal commuter. Custom Curt hitch works great on this car for hauling bikes.

This car is all about value. I'd highly recommend buying a low-mileage and well cared for loaded SES used. If you are thinking about buying one used, consider it was purchasable new deeply discounted and with rebates that made features like heated leather seats and electronic stability control available at a little over $16 grand. Excellent handling and tight steering feedback with 17 inch tires and wheels. Five speed manual has long throws but increases fun factor and performance. Sync IPOD and bluetooth phone system works very well. Night-time dash and ambient lighting really looks great. Big trunk. Comfortable. Plenty of cup/bottle holders. An American car actually assembled in USA!

All black interior desperately needed some contrast; lots of black plastic, nothing else on the doors. Black leather seats were, frankly, drab and needed some contrasting textures. I'd go with the tan leather if I were to do it again. Unfortunately side mirrors didn't fold. Difficult rear seat access with coupe. If you ever plan to use rear seat, buy a sedan. An outside temp gauge and compass would have been nice. The heated seats sometimes heat unevenly and needed a low/high setting. Rear seats don't fold flat. On-board MPG computer is sometimes little more optimistic than actual MPGs (Appears most of these were resolved in new Fiesta and Focus.) Ignition key sometimes stubborn to go in.

Great Small Car
By gql

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2009 SEL...27000 miles.....30 plus mpg....Very satisfied...would buy again.....Good job Ford!!

EVERTHING

NONE

Great Car
By april1030

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 09 Focus for about 2 months and its great.
The gas milage is really good and I have had no problems with this car.
The SYNC system is a plus but at times the voice active comands won't resgiter.
I love being able to use my cell phone hands free while I am driving. The USB port is great because I can listen to my Ipod and charge it too.
The area where the USB port is located is very dark at night (it is not illumnated when you turn on the headlights). I find that after I have been driving for a while my knee starts to hurT.
It could be because I am only 5 feet tall. Great car for the money!

SYNC, Heated leather seats, USB port, Curise control, Audio controls mounted on steering wheel

Trunk release button inside car, Dome light, illumnated USB port area, Electric seats