Used 2009 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great Little Car for the Money
By kendrixjr

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car new in July 2009.
Replaced an F-150.
Took a while to get used to small car however when I saw the savings at the pump, loved the car.
Other than scheduled maintenance, no out of pocket expense except tires.
Currently has 53,000 miles and running great.
Material on the seats seem a bit cheap but other than that, fun car to drive.
Perfect for only 1 or 2 people.
Back seat is a bit small but would be ok for someone with small kids or someone who isn't very tall.
Would recommend this Focus to anyone.
Just make certain that the maintenance has been up to date.
The maintenance is extremely reasonable for this car.
Would definitely buy one again...

Plenty of power for a small car, maintenance is minimal, even the tires are inexpensive. Great gas mileage and fun to drive.

Cheap looking material on seats. Interior seems a bit cheap.

The tire eater
By remley

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2009 to replace 1989 Nissan Sentra. Wanted to buy American so the Focus was one of the cars I looked at. Got a decent deal so purchased Focus SE sedan.
It's a decent enough car but a continuing problem with premature tire wear which dealer claims is normal for this car, expect only 20000 miles of tire wear no matter the quality of the tires. Needless to say this has soured me on the car. After this experiance I'll never buy another Ford.

Good gas mileage, side air bags

Fix alignment/tire wear problems, AC unit weak,Automatic downshift is rough,suspension creaks and squeaks

Amazing!
By schwabbii

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for about 2 years now and it is simply amazing. I went on a long drive and was getting 40 mpg, which in this economic is unheard of and a lifesaver. I haven't had any mechanical problems or problems at all and it has remained reliable. I do wish I could upgrade the car to have the sync system in the car, yet I can deal with it. I would highly recommend purchasing this vehicle if you are looking for something affordable, yet handy. Trunk and cabin is rather spacious and I don't feel claustrophobic when I'm in the car. Get it, today, seriously.

Love the trunk space! I graduated from college and I was able to fit my whole life into the car! The car is rather zippy, which is nice when entering the highway/freeway.

Allow for a sync system to be installed aftermarket.

If I could go back in time, It be this car AGAIN!
By gigiaguy89

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had 2 options. Yaris, or Corolla. Went to two Toyota dealer and had them try and rip us off real bad. They wanted 17 grand for Yaris and 20 grand for basic Corolla. We walked away and were about to give up when we passed a ford dealer. We stopped in to see what they had. Fell in love with a black, focus coupe. Dealer gave it to us for 15,700 w/trade. Had it since 2009 and its running GREAT. Gas mileage is AWESOME and stereo system rocks! Trunk is huge, and back seat is comfy considering the car is a two door. Interior design is pretty cool considering other cars in its class. Love the message center and ice blue lights. The cluster instrument panel has a nice sporty look to it.

I love how the message center and stereo works, its a neat set up. The stereo system also comes with MP3 compatibility so you can play your mp3 cds and TEXT so you can see the name of the song and radio station your listening to. The SYNC system is incredible. I bough a 16gb flash drive and I keep it plugged into the car at all times. So I have access to every one of my songs right in my car. And I can tell the car to play what I want. Bluetooth calls work great and SYNC understands what you say fairly well. Has a lot of kick for 2.0 engine. Love the message center and ice blue lights. The cluster instrument panel has a nice sporty look to it.

The inside panels are made out of cheap plastic. They scratch easily and get damaged fast. The silver painted trim is horrible. It started to fade and get stained and scratched the second I took the car home. They could have used a more durable paint for the trim and more durable rubber panels instead of plastic. Gives the car a cheap feel which is the exact opposite the older model focus gave you. The older model were made out of rubber panels and felt durable, even though the car itself wasn't reliable. But the other than that, its a HUGE improvement from their previous focus models.

Don't buy this peice of junk
By dneilsen

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in 2009. within the first year the brakes had to be repaired the second year the cv joints went out. In 2011 I was driving it to work and had alot of vibration in the front end and found out from our mechanic that the wheel bearings was worn out. I would highly recomend you avoid this mistake.

fun little car to drive