Used 2009 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

For teenagers, Adults don't bother
By cherrie1

2009 Ford Focus S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought used 2009 for $9500 w/26000 miles in 2011, under TMV, so I thought I had a deal.
However, I would not buy this again.
The comfort level is very low with hardly any leg room.
It does very poorly in certain weather conditions.
Caught in a windstorm, I was forced to drive in the fast lane bcuz the slow lane was near deep embankments and the car behaved like it really wanted to flip.
It also does poorly going around sharp curves.
It now squeaks after that windstorm, and I'm told it's a bodyshop issue.
Also, repairs on this can be $$.
I pd $300 for a brake job.
The defrost is horrible on this, takes way too long.
Ok on gas, but just a teenage recreation car IMO.

Gas sipper, and will get u from pt. A to pt. B.

More room, needs more sturdiness, needs a trunk release in the car, annoying lights come on when door opens

I've had my Focus for over a year now..
By jasebduke3435

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm like everyone who owns a Ford Focus and can't complain about them. I have a 2009 Ford Focus SEL. I love everything about it. Especally love the Sirius Satellite Radio. I can't go anywhere without listening to it. My mom and dad helped me buy it. It was a birthday gift. My dad was dead set against it. He kept bugging and nagging about how about a Hyundai, Chevy, Toyota, ANYTHING BUT A FORD was his very words. Finally made him come out of his stubborn shell. We went to the dealership where it was, we took a test drive, and he never complained about it ever. How can anyone complain if you can put a full tank of gas and your good for the next 300-400 miles.

SIRIUS satellite radio Leather Seats The gas.

Simple Car
By 97vq30de

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car with 27k miles. It now has 31k. Exterior is okay, not all that great looking. Interior looks cheaply built. Its comfortable though. Engine is very noisy, especially under load. Transmission seems very responsive. Tires are lame; I can hear them screech on a not very tight curve. I am disappointed that cruise control is not a standard feature. Breaks seem to be responsive but the car leans too much forward. It has a very stiff suspension which I like. There seems to be some squeaky noise on the rear suspension; sounds like its coming from the spring/trailing arm. Its very fuel efficient. Visibility is awful. Makes it harder for me to park or change lanes. Audio is okay.

Nothing I can think off other than fuel efficiency. Perhaps I am very used to driving my '97 Nissan Maxima.

A quieter engine. I was going to say a better exterior design but that is taken care of with the new generation. Better handling. My 3000lbs+ Nissan Maxima handles a lot better than the Focus. Cruise Control should be a standard option.

Not too shabby at all
By dpf85

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this little beast in March 2011 after I realized that a soldier's pay just wasn't going to keep allowing me the luxury of owning a Wrangler and getting 14 mpg city (and that's if I was easy on the throttle.) So far I have loved it. I'm not much of a fan of the exterior styling, but it's not terrible. The interior looks nice, and sure some of the material feels slightly cheap, but very bearable when considering cost. The sound system is actually more than impressive for the $. Gas mileage is great as well. Have noticed early wear on my back drivers side tire, too early to tell if it's going to happen again.

great factory speakers, great gas mileage, sporty-ish handling, overall fun to drive.

kinda ugly, but the newer model Focus fixed that in my opinion.

This is a fun car!
By thebrickyard

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a 2009 Ford Focus SES.
It has 28k miles and is decked out - Sun roof, Sync system w/ bass speaker in the trunk, etc.
Most of all, this car is FUN to drive!
My previous used car was a '06 Mazda 3 Sport (not the turbo charged Speed, but the one just below it).
That car had everything, I loved that car, but I can honestly say that my focus, even though it's an automatic (my 3 was a manual b/c I like that), is more fun to drive.
The transmission is quick to react, the engine is more powerful (even though it's a 2.0, and my 3 was a 2.3 liter), and it takes turns better.
I wasn't in the market for a Focus, but I am SOLD!

The handling and the engine. The sunroof and sync system (which can admittedly be a bit difficult at times, but maybe that's an issue w/ my phone), and bass speaker in the back are sweet! My kids 8 and 5, fit perfectly in the back, and there is plenty of room for average size adults in the back seats. You wouldn't want to take 4 adults in a long road trip, but it works perfectly for me and the kids. Also, my kids LOVE that I can change the colors of the lights in the cup holder, and that the sync system talks to us.

I always want more speed :-). I'm going to get a K&N air filter, and consider getting the K&N air intake after my warranty expires.