Used 2009 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Buyer beware
By cstainke

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 15k miles on it. Its been one problem after another. It has left us high and dry at least 4 different times where the car wouldnt start at all. 2 times is was due to the fuel pump. The fuel pump went once last Christmas day and we had to stay at a hotel out of town overnight. Then the computer on the car went out not too long ago. Everything was covered by warranty, but what a pain . Then, just yesterday, the car would start but wouldnt shift out of park at the grocery store. Shifter was somehow locked up! It is currently at the dealer and they have no clue why that happened. I will never buy another Ford car. tires wear down very fast also. on 2nd set at 5ok miles sucks

We like the SYNC system and the heated seats, but none of this matters when the car is broke down and doesnt run.

Get rid of the model . that would be the best improvement that Ford could make.

Issues with heated seats, AC, and Alignment. and more that wont fit in review box.
By ownerof2focus

2009 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Alignment issues with
09 & my 08 Focus as well. Guy @Alignment shop said Focus's are known for it. Bought
09' when it was 1year old, 8,550 miles. Shortly there after we took trip out west. It was mid summer, 90 degrees, with leather seats & the heated seats kicked on and off several times. Got home & dealer fixed it under warranty. They said they had reports of others with same prob. Not long after warranty was up AC blower set on level 3 would blow hard then soft, then hard again. Because of no warranty I ignored it and dealt with it. Another 50k miles later the vents on left aren't blowing as cool of air as the 2 on right side. Can hear it cycling. Others have reported same issue online

Sync system.

Carpets that stay tucked under trim.

[non-permissible content removed]
By mooshgoosh

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am saving up for a much needed 3rd SET OF FOUR NEW TIRES WITHIN SIX MONTHS! I feel robbed, stuck and beaten down by Ford. No matter where I go or who I go to for help, I am given the run around. "You must have hit a pothole." (So, apparently in the 2009 Ford Focus, if you hit a pothole it will throw your entire car out of whack and wear your tires unevenly within 2 months.) I have had two alignments in the past 10 months, so I know that is not the issue. I feel like I'm driving a matchbox car and will fly off the road to my death at any moment. The entire car shakes violently and has since 30K. Very unimpressed and taken advantage of.

The colored lights/stereo/sync

Design a car that has enough to it so that the tires may hold it up and drive it for more than 3 months at a time. Or reimburse your loyal customers who have had to suffer for buying this car.

Great little car
By mlhunt1

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2009 Focus with 21k on the clock when i found out that my soon to be wife was expecting our first child. I found this black on black focus SE 2.0L Auto trans. I get 30mpg cursing down the highway at 80mph. My wife gets 36mpg driving 70mph. I have had very little issues with the vehicle We have since put over 20k on the car driving all over New England.
The car drove great in the two snow storms of 20plus inches. Now is the car not made to have 4 6ft people in it. Do they fit yes. I would say that if i were to buy again for the purpose that i bought it for i would have bought a larger car. But for a single person a commuter car, or for just cheap transportation ITS GREAT.

I would have to say the off the line power.

Make ABS standard, and make the pass seat height adjustable.

What a car!
By alphahusky

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Alright, let me preface this by saying I had on '03 PT Cruiser before. Would've been a great car if it wasn't a money pit. This car though, what a dream! Though nowhere near a sports car like the PT GT, it's INCREDIBLY fun to drive! The shifting on this car is more smooth than I could imagine an MT (Manual Transmission) to be. All the creatures comforts and more with AC and XM Satellite radio! The suspension is SO soft! Even hitting a giant pothole on accident doesn't feel as dramatic as it is! The gas mileage is awesome! I only travel short distances, so mine may not be the same as others, but 35 MPG in the dead of winter is more than incredible for me!

I'll try to go in order: * Shifting - This car is a MT, but shifting with this car is beyond amazing! It's is so smooth.. You don't get any of the "hrumph" when going to another gear (Like you would on other vehicles no matter how much you babied the clutch). * Suspension - Another incredible highlight of this car! Even though it's a used '09, I can't stress enough how incredibly brand new it feels! Mercedes look out! * Roomy Trunk - Though small, this car features a very boisterous trunk with plenty of room for cargo and other items! * XM Satellite - I only had to call up Sirius XM and give them my VIN and payment info and I had instant access to all XM channels! *Stereo is AWESOME!

My following suggestions are subject to current features... Which is to say, if these changes would deplete in ANY way from the rest of the vehicle, I would suggest NO change at all. Larger cabin for the back passengers. Though the front of the cabin is very cozy (even as a tall person), the back barely covers enough space even for my daughter in a car seat. More leg room in the back would be nice, but I would most certainly sacrifice this in favor of what the vehicle currently has.