Used 2009 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Perfect in every way except one
By carl

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2009 ses 11 months ago and we LOVE IT! 16,000 miles and average 43 mpg summer and 35 mpg winter (conservative speeds-60mph hwy).Now, here is my complaint: If you look closely at the area down low by the rear wheel wells in front of the wheels you will probably see that your paint is getting "sand-blasted" off the car. This is due to a poor design in the shape of car in this area.Spray from the front wheels is the culprit even after mud guards are installed. Ford/Canada is aware of this and will repair paint and cover the affected area gratis --IF YOU ASK. It is like a silent recall. I had it done and so far so good but like I stated at the top,one great car in every other way!

Wife and I are chubby but the interior room still feels the same as our previous chev epica. Interior lighting,exterior style,17"snazzy wheels sangria red color. Actually- EVERYTHING.

Just the body design in above mentioned area. Rear seat lighting also. Pretty hard to improve on perfection.

Focus SE Review
By Don't text and drive

2009 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In October of 2010 I will have had my four door 2009 SE Focus for two years. Some options I got were cruise control, 5 speed manual transmission, Black cloth interior. The only problem I've had was that a cheap two dollar spring for the clutch pedal broke, this didn't affect the cars driving ability in any way that I could see and it was a quick fix. Other than that the mechanics of the car are doing great, this car is both a peppy and smooth ride it is very fun to drive. I would very much recommend the Focus to anyone looking for a quality car for a reasonable price!

The body and interior of the car in general. A sporty, more modern look inside. also a very nice big trunk. Ford did a really great job modernizing the focus.

Put rear interior lights in for the people in the back seats. The ability to lock the glove box and center console. Also a more applicable center console (something that has specific spots to hold an Ipod, coins, sun glasses etc.) My 09 SE center console is nice and big, but it's just a big open space.

Just give it a test drive
By jon

2009 Ford Focus SES 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my SES 2 doors coupe used form a dealer. Only had it for a week so I can't comment on reliability. I owned a Focus 2000 ZX3 before this one. It really feels like a evolution of my previous car, more refine, etc. Handling is top notch, very quick. Engine is smooth and quiet. Car comes fully equipped. It really feels solid. I don't understand why reviews are not as good for this car. It's worth a test drive, believe me.

Quietness, responsive steering wheel, bang for the bucks !

More side support on front seats, a little better sound system

Best car for the money
By Mark

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We consistently get better gas mileage than the rating. We have put 11,000 miles on it in 8 months. No visits to the shop other than an oil change. We absolutely love this vehicle. It is by far the best value you can find in this class. We have SYNC, sunroof, roll stability control, and anti-lock brakes. Rebates given on the Focus give you a lot more for your money than Toyota or Honda. Focus has the same reliability and longevity as Honda and Toyota, is more fun to drive, and costs far less.

SYNC and fun to drive. No rattles or noises.

Better interior lighting with the moonroof.

Perspective of a big/tall guy!
By rdperk

2009 Ford Focus SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far, so good. I am 6,4" tall and about 240 lbs. I fit fine - but no way anyone can sit behind me! Fuel economy has ranged from 27-31 mpg. A bit lower than I had hoped with 80-90% highway. I typically drive 70-75 mph on uncongested highway. Handling is fine except in snow. Could be oem tires, but I usually can't even make it up my slight incline driveway if there is snow covering the cement. Thank goodness for traction control. Many "fishy" rides on snow covered highway - I think tc is the only thing keeping me on the road with these p. O. S. Tires!

Sync is fun, but a bit buggy sometimes - especially with my phone (sometimes automatically tries to connect, usually does not, when it tries to connect and you say "no", it keeps nagging you every 10 seconds until you say yes!)

More sound deadening. Hands free is useless (VERY, VERY BAD) over 25 mph due to road noise. I would like to be able to get outside temp on my panel. It is there, but not active!