Used 2008 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 257 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Not my favorite but I'm thankful
By lad87nek

2008 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 47k miles. I'm at 104k now. This car was always dependable as far as starting each morning and getting me where I'm going. Now when it came to the doors always opening or buttons that cost 250 bucks to replace breaking... well that was my experience with my focus. The back door mechanisms completely fell apart FOUR times in 2 years. Also had problems with buttons and knobs breaking. My last car was a 1992 and didn't wear down those things so fast. Talk about cheap. But what wasn't cheap was to fix the things that broke.

I will say that I was involved in a rollover accident with my focus and totaled it. Rolled it 3 times and walked away unscathed.

Improve your door handles. Also need a light for the back seat, it's pitch black back there. More leg room for the passengers would be nice to. You can't fit more then one car seat back there because it's so cramped. That's not family friendly.

Basic 08 Focus S
By focusedbi

2008 Ford Focus S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased with 950 miles 8/08 2yr additional extended warranty.
51K 10/12.
Very basic model, no options this car.
Regularly record 39-40 mpg highway comparing gas gallons at fillup and trip odometer.
Acceleration is decent for 2.0 L normally aspirated engine.
My vehicle is not listed on the 2 recalls on 08 Focus.
Change oil every 3 months at dealer with my oil/filter.
No problems to date except upper radiator hose leak at 90 degree plastic elbow.
Changed myself due to expense quoted by dealer.
I have been in 2 front-end accidents.
NOTE: Body repair shop overtightened battery cable terminal.
This wore the tin off the terminal, exposing it to rust.
Had to replace battery early.
Found surface rust on interior supporting panels for instrument panels etc. I do not live in salt prone area like coastal or salted roads due to frequent ice/snow.
Manual (5 speed) transmission not mentioned in schedule maintenance book nor online manual for oil change. IT IS MENTIONED for the 2009 Focus at 150K miles.
@105K miles at this point of the review now: 3rd set of tires at this point.
105K mileage point is/was major Ford scheduled maintenance point. Nothing unusual found, nothing broken or found needed replacement.
As a precaution, I had them change the oil in the manual transmission. This is not scheduled in my schedule maintenance book, and not with Ford either for this year car. Injectors were cleaned/flushed. Mileage at this point is about 36 mpg highway. Could be catalytic converter acting up considering mileage.

Very Good Car
By amdrewhikes

2008 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car and have been very pleased with its performance. For a 4 cyl engine it has plenty of power. Excellent value for the money!

Very good power, handles well, good gas mileage and nicely designed

Adding anti lock brakes, cruise control, more seat padding.

Good Car
By j_lo

2008 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first brand-new -0 miles car I have ever purchased.
It is great! Good gas mileage, plenty of power (for a 4cyl.) and the inside design looks awesome, I've gotten many compliments, even now 3years later.
The only issues that I had were with the computer the first year I had it, must have been a defective part, but no hassle ford replaced it with a brand new one.

Dash board, sun roof and good size trunk

I wish they made the buttons on the steering wheel better, the black has completely rubbed off.

I hate this car
By dieguito06

2008 Ford Focus S 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only reason I bought this car was because I lost the 2005 Impala in a crash & I needed A car in a hurry.A week into the car the carpet on the pasengers side
started to came off ,every time I would fix it it would come right off ,then a year later the passenger door wooden
open
I used the warranty & had it fix two years later
the same door the same problem but this time my warrranty was out so I had to pay $200 to get it fix. now the other door is having the same problem.another thing wrong with this car is the sway bars I had to replace them too

the only thing I like about this car is the gas mileage & the sync