Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 316 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Love my Focus!
By llb2010

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 a few months ago, and I must admit, I LOVE it! It runs great, gets awesome gas mileage (almost 35 to the gallon highway, about 28 city), and is very cute! I'm seventeen and wanted to buy a car (yes- I paid for it myself!) that would last throughout college and I think I've found the one! It has plenty of legroom for me (6 feet tall). It gets great pickup and I find it very easy to drive- even in the snow and ice. I haven't had any problems with the car (knock on wood) and would recommend it to anyone. My parents may be Toyota and Honda owners, but I'm a Ford girl for life!

Awesome gas mileage, lots of pep on the highway, roomy front seat, great stereo too! VERY maneuverable drive!

Almost no room in backseat. Also, my car has no armrest in the middle and the cupholders are in the most inconvenient place. I bought an old rental car, perhaps that is why theyre so odd, but other than that, this car is awesome!

My Best car
By laurie

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My first new car I bought was the Focus, I owned a 2003 before going right back to updrade to the 2005.This car is very easy to handle, It was excellent in the snow,just do oil changes and maintain the car and it will last forever.Drove mine till 145,000 then traded it for another one with less miles.plenty of room for long trips,love the cup holders. all the pockets for stuff. This car handles snow like a charm. I honestlyAdont have anything to say bad about this type of car, its a great price and hold up very well. like i said change oil and tires and its a charm.I WAS NEVER LEFT STRANDED OR WITH OUT A CAR WHEN I DROVE A FOCUS,I KNOW IT STARTS NOW MATTER HOW COLD IT IS, LOVE THEM

cup holders, controls on the stearing wheel to change the radio.roomy trunk.great leg room up front and also in the back.Cd player is great for a factory player.Sweet looking car for the money, has excellent take off in traffic.

better fabric on the seats, need to scotch guard them right away, they leave marks with just water.the door handles arent the best quality, they sometimes in winter feel like they will snap, but never have, i also hear the road noise in the back tires, other then that i would not change one thing...

Not What We Hoped For
By Hackman

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When we purchased this Focus new, we were hoping to get a car that was fun to drive, great fuel economy, and reliability. Only one of those hopes has been realized. It is fun to drive, but it sure doesn't get the MPG's like most 4-cylinder cars. About 20-22 mpg city is all we can get. The replaceable parts like tires, brakes/rotors, and battery are definitely inferior. All had to be replaced within the first 3 years. And the cost of tires and brakes is outrageous since Ford has to different. Rotors=$75 each, when a comparable Chevy rotor is only $25. Now were getting a strut problem fixed after 43,000 miles. After this experience, we'd be hard pressed to buy another Ford.

Engine is peppy, sporty drive

Soften interior noise, better mileage, improve fit and finish of interior and exterior parts

More than expected
By CAFFN8D

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With the understanding that the Focus was an econobox, I purchased one new from dealer in summer of '05. After 4+ years ownership, it has performed without fail and has proven itself to be a very capable daily commuter, with occasional weekend duties as a hauler. I drive 45+ miles daily, and feel quite comfortable with the amenities it has. I especially enjoy the small footprint yet torquey responsive engine. I can zip easily throughout traffic, yet blend in as necessary. The hauling capacity is quite surprising for such a small car on the exterior. People at my landfill have expressed their amazement at how much I can fit in the back. It's very durable and capable - I recommend it.

Torquey engine, amazing hauling capacity, chain-driven cams, nearly maintenance free engine (just change oil/coolant). I don't have to spend a lot of time on maintenance - that to me is a big selling point. Appearance is subjective - to me it's a very clean design.

It is an econobox so the interior is below what you'd expect in the average car. That said, the plastic could be made softer. Also, stiffen the suspension up a bit on the base model and include a rear swaybar.

not bad so far
By Craig

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner of this Focus wagon and bought it for mpg and interior space. Best mileage was 34 hwy and worst was 22 city mpg. I average about 27 mpg. Only problem was a rear door latch failed which was recalled and inspected long before I bought it. Ford refused to reimburse me and it cost me $350 to have it replaced. There are a few interior rattles, especially in winter.

mpg, interior room, handling

use more rubber or foam to eliminate some rattles