Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 316 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great little Wagon, Very Dependable
By dantomfin

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SES 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had it new since '05. Zippy, handles well, decent gas mileage (around 20 in the city, better than 30 on the highway). Have had NO breakdowns or any mechanical issues - an EXTREMELY dependable car. Good points -Front seats are very comfortable. Lots of pep. Brakes smoothly and the brake replacement intervals are quite long. Heat and A/C work great. Good cargo space in the back, especially for a small wagon. Decent in the snow. Stock sound system is okay. Bad points - not much room in the back seat. Cloth seats stain easily. Some body creaks that drive me nuts. Build quality could be better. Tail and brake light sockets distorted from light bulb heat.

Dependability, fun to drive, cheap to maintain.

Hey Ford, not too smart to have discontinued the Focus Wagon - you had a winner on your hands!

Ford Focus 2005 Automatic transmission
By Veva

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing but problems with the automatic transmission, I have put approx. $3000.00 in transmission, today the car will not go in drive over 10 mph. I can drive the car in 2nd gear not over 30 mph. I am today trying to find a garage to have my car towed to. This car is not paid off and I am constantly putting money into. And making a monthly payment, I have had this Ford for 4 years and it has made me a nervous wreck to drive. The throttle cable catches all the time, the worst part with the transmission is you are traveling at 50 mph and the transmission will go into low gear, or neutral when someone behind you is going 50 mph. Not safe on the interstate

gas mileage

Ford should have had a recall on these cars for the automatic transmission and the sticking throttle cable

bad transmissions
By moses

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 focus ZX4 2 years ago. i read the car-fax report and it was good. Then i started to notice certain problems such as: Tire wear quickly, alignment off for no reason, and now transmission and transaxle problem. Mind you, the warranty was up the 5th of march this year the tranny and or transaxle went out the 7th of march this year. Now the car will not roll backwards in neutral if you try to push it. The back wheel seem to be lock when trying to push it backward in neutral. There were no warning of this problem what so ever.I think that FORD should take responsibility for their product. I have now seen over 120 complaints about the same thing in the same car.

Stop making that car , and give people at lease half of what we paid for the car. THAT'S AN IMPROVEMENT.

Comfortable car, fun to drive
By WOODVILLENURSE

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car wrecked with no warranty with only 20,000 miles. Went to Alaska and back putting over 10,000 miles on it I was having trouble with it dying when I slowed down and sped up the time a bit, then the check engine light came on saying it was revved up too high. Slowed it back down, changed the brain, and every other part that has to do with smooth running, nothing helped. Now, it is skipping when I'm cruising about 50mph, I was told it might be the ignition coil, but changed them out and that wasn't the case. If anybody has any idea what the problem is, please let me know. I have thoroughly enjoyed this car and if I had it to do over again, I would buy it. It is fun to drive!

Stereo controls on the steering wheel, I couldn't get my key out a couple of times and realized the little plastic thing on the shift leaver had slipped down and when I put the car back in Park and turned the key back on, I could pull the little plastic part back up next to the shift handle, fixing

I have no improvements, other than to improve the gas mileage to 50mph, I love this car

Regret Selling It!!
By Diaur

2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus ZX5 brand new in May 2005. It was such a fun and sporty car. It is excellent drive and has great fuel economy. I sold the car to CarMax in 2007 as I bought another car. It is one of the worst decisions I've made in my life! I regret selling it!

Hatchback design Easy on the wallet and great on fun

None!