Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 316 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Bang for your buck
By dumbblonde8

2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because my family has always bought Fords, and I have been impressed with it 4 years later. It's a dream for maintenance. I've NEVER had to had anything major done to it, just the oil and filters changed. I rallied the crap out of it too and nothing has happened. I hadn't gotten a wheel alignment since I bought the thing and just recently got one (yeah, been kinda broke lol) and it was BARELY out of alignment. Doing home maintenance on it is so easy a caveman can do it. The Hatchback gives plenty of room. All in all a very sporty car. HIGHLY recommend.

Parts are built to last. I've never had to change out the spark plugs or the air filter because the ones in them right now are meant to last for a very long time. It also likes to hold itself to the pavement when I'm hauling on tight corners. :D Very tight steering.

More accessories for it. I can never find aftermarket stuff for it! It's all for the ugly '00-'04 models.

Great car
By Dbay

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is actually my wife's car. She bought it nearly new and has done little maintenance and received so much more in return. Just replaced factory brakes at 90,000. No major repairs to date. Handles great in the snow and gets about 34-36 mpg. We love it.

MPG, reliability, large trunk

For some reason the car doesn't have cruise control. Didn't think it was even an option not to have cruise in '05.

Fuel pump trouble
By rurba546

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 40,000 miles. Drove it to 45,000 and found the factory battery needed to be replaced. It also started to die when it got below 1/4 tank. I replaced the fuel filter and that seemed to help, to be safe I kept it above 1/4 tank whenever possible. A month went by and the trouble returned stranding me half way through a 150 mile trip. Turns out the fuel pump was shot as I feared. Expensive repair due to the fact that the gas tank had to be removed to get to the fuel pump. I hope this is the last major repair for awhile. I like the car a lot otherwise so far. But, doesn't come close to my last car, a 1996 Chevy Cavalier that was awesome and gave me almost no trouble!

Very solid and practically built overall. Handles great. All the features one would expect in a cheap compact. Gas mileage is as expected but not amazing, low 30s on average. Easy to change oil and do other basic maintenance if elevated. Good-sized trunk. Interior and controls are decent.

Fuel system could be a lot better. Lots of vibration and road noise. Not at all impressed with acceleration even for its size. A little tight in the front, very cramped in the backseat, even for a compact. Exterior design is ugly, but my car is black, which makes it seem not so bad.

Meh
By Joey

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Coming from a Grand Prix GT (3.8 V6) I am getting the same mileage in the city as I am in the SLOWcus (~23 mpg city). Seems to be reliable though. Trunk unlock is a PITA. Lifetime air filter. Sporty kinda. Get blinker & steering wheel controls confused. Ceiling compartment (sunshades, garage door) blocks part of view from rear view mirror if your tall (6 ft).

Spoiler, Steering wheel controls, MP3 6 CD changer, Fog lights.

Bigger backseat, Smaller antenna, Driver's seat pouch on back of seat! The SLOWcus has nothing on a Pontiac Grand Prix is all I will say. I won't be back.

An Often Overlooked Performer
By Michael Mo

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The ST is really a hidden gem in the Focus family. With 151 hp it's not exactly a "hot hatch" like the SVT but it's no slouch either. It's very well designed; I'm six feet tall and I have enough head/leg room, more than in some mid size cars. The front buckets are very comfortable and five years on it's been a model of reliability. In heavy city driving mileage has been about 22, not too bad given the car never feels short on power above 3000 rpm. The dash is pretty cheap, the lack of rear headrests annoys and one can't call this a quiet car. Every time I drive something else though I always miss my Focus's driving position and driver connectivity. For me that's worth the ST's minor faults.

Well, the Sony audiophile system is pretty amazing for just four speakers and a sub. Even more than that is just the way the ST drives; no play in the steering; direct pedals; pretty terrific handling if a tad harsh plus a reasonable amount of power. Gets a surprising number of compliments too.

The gear ratios are just too short for this engine. To keep revs at comfortable levels one has to think about shifting out of first by 15 mph, which seems awfully soon to me. Highway speed in 5th runs 2800 rpm, really needs a 6th cog. That would also help the economy. Wheels are too plain for an ST.