Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 316 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Richmond BC Focus
By wpgjet

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2005 Focus in September 2005. 113,700 KMs later it is running fine. The CD player, however, is prone to failure. I have had SEVEN replacement CD players installed, under warranty. Also, the power door lock mechanism has had to be replaced twice, also under warranty. Otherwise, the car is reliable and fun to drive. No actual mechanical problems. As with any new car purchase, it is a good idea to buy the Extended Warranty, as the electronic gadgets are expensive to replace.

Fun to drive good legroom for tall driver simple easy to use dashboard controls reliable

CD player prone to failure

Awesome Value
By scandalon68

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was by far the best care I have ever owned. It was running great with over 210K until it was totaled. Great mileage.

Gas mileage.

Brakes squeak!

Average car, but will not buy again
By magastratus

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2007 with 30k miles, and had to replace transmission before it hit 70k; set me back about $1200. Previous reviews about the interior being especially noisy are accurate. Gas mileage is lower than what I expected. A lot of minor things go wrong with this car. The vent selector switch broke, so it is stuck on blowing air on my feet. I have yet to get this fixed, so I am uncertain what it will cost. Armrest was also flimsy and broke within 6 months. It also takes a very long time to warm up during the winter, and will sometimes have issues starting cold. It will always eventually start, but not without some hassle. Not terrible, but buy something better if you have the $$.

Best car I ever owned
By asmaestas

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Ford Focus Sedan in 2004 with only 3500 miles. I now have 114000 miles on it. It runs like a champ. I get about 25 mpg around town 40 mpg highway. 29 mixed. Automatic. The only problem I had with it was the sway link bushings had to be replace. My Focus is strip down model, no power windows, no cruise control.
I had the cruise installed else where. It's been a fantastic car! I'll drive it till wheels fall off or it gets wrecked. It's very well maintained.

Great gas mileage. Lots of power from bottom end to top end. Handing is outstanding. Cold air conditioning very cold!

Better looking interior. Middle ac vents don't stay in one place.

safe and reliable
By mesm

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got into a head on collision with a drunk driver in a GMC Yukon while driving my '05 Ford Focus and walked away with nothing but whiplash and a few cuts and bruises. The entire front of the car was flattened, but all of the built in safety features worked and saved both mine and my passenger's lives. In another car, we could have easily died. The gas mileage could have been better, but this is a great car if you're looking for something safe, reliable, and sturdy.

Slow pickup, poor gas mileage