Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 316 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Good buy for the money
By Donna

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car back in February of 2005, when the car I was driving at the time suddenly dropped dead. I'm a little upset that I didn't get in on the "family deal" & get a few thousand dollars off of the car. But I had no choice. I needed a car. I went to the dealership and pretty much looked for the cheapest cars they had. I was very surprised at what I got for my money. Actually a great little car. Great sound system, very fast pickup, pretty good gas mileage (except when you run the air conditioner -- it sucks up the gas). Huge trunk, back seats fold down. Had to talk the salesman into giving me an ashtray out of another car.

Fast pickup.

Ashtray should be standard. Ride could be a little bit smoother.

Fun Little Car!
By Gretchen Huiras

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little car! It's super to drive in the city and comfortable to ride in on longer trips. I can drive for two weeks straight without having to go to the gas station, and for a single person, it is the perfect size. It has enough power that I can run the AC with minimal affect to the engine or gas tank. It has plenty of room for three people to sit comfortably, four being a little tight, but it is possible. It has been very reliable with only the 3000 mile check-ups bringing me to the dealer. It does well in both hot and cold weather and handles well in wet weather as well. As it doesn't snow in Savannah, GA., I can't comment on that. The stereo is wonderful. It's a fun car.

For its size, it has a lot of get up and go. It is a lot of fun to drive and very easy to drive. It sits very well on the road and handles curves like a pro. On the highway, it is really smooth and quiet. It likes to go fast, so driving it on longer trips is fun. It is also comfortable.

Chief complaint: When you put the back seat down, it doesn't allow for anyone to sit in the back. In other words, the back rest doesn't have a break in it allowing one side to go down and the other to be free for a third passenger. They have hopefully modified that in the 2005/2006 models.

Life with a Focus
By Jersey Dave

2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Focus wagon with automatic transmission has a lot of good qualities. It's spunky, offers great driving visibility and has lots of storage room. Little things like the theater lighting are also nice. But, I'm not very pleased with around- town gas mileage in the very low 20's. A 2005 car with a 2.0 liter engine, even with an auto transmission, should do a lot better than that. (My '94 Geo Prizm still gets 25-26 around town). And, I really don't like the European suspension. In New Jersey, we have way too many streets and highways that are in pretty poor condition. I really have fears that my Focus with get beaten or shaken to death way before its time.

I like the smooth, spunky engine and the great storage room in back.

Gas mileage is way too low and the European suspension should to left to cars in Europe.

Cal Fun
By calisun

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Always had a love for hatchbacks for their design and practicality. Owned an '87 VW Scirocco 16V, but VW currently doesn't have the aggressive design I look for. For the price/features ratio, Ford Focus ZX3 is a great buy. $13.5k (+ taxes, registration, etc.) for a top-of-the- line '05 ZX3 says it all.

Everything's at your fingertips! What blindspots! Distinctive clicks on the manual transmission. Steering wheel mounted radio controls -- awesome when you have 110+ songs per disc. Very willing engine, 5500RPM entering the freeway and didn't even notice. Love the optional sunroof -- take in the sun & keep that AC off.

Better sound insulation -- drone from the wheel wells at freeway speeds. PZEV environment-friendly engine at a cost of unexpectedly low MPG. Drum brakes on a ZX3 SES? Short travel telescoping steering wheel. Plastic hole covers keep popping out. Bring back the SVT or how about an SHO?

the most bang for your buck
By Mike

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SES 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Obviously the Ford Focus isn't a luxury model. You get what you pay for. But I purchased a 2005 ZX2 SES om July of '05 (the day before Ford decided to do employee pricing). I also added the upgraded sound system, side impact air bags, and moonroof ... I paid $13,150. I believe that dollar for dollar you get more for your money that Toyota or Honda. Remember you are paying premium price on those two cars because of reliability. Ford has worked out the kinks and I believe it's not worth paying an extra $6,000 for a Honda just because a Ford MIGHT break down and a Honda MIGHT not.

Excellent control with steering. Excellent sound system. I get about 20 mpg with a mix of highway and city. (Chicago)

A little more head room. I am 6'3" and if I sit up straight it cuts a little close. Luckily I like to drive with the seat back a little.