Used 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

My Baby!
By ariana

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I plan on keeping this car for the next 50 years! I've had no problems with it at all, and the gas mileage is fantastic on the freeway. The EPA estimate is 35 HWY for my model, and on my last trip I got 34.8, while going 70 or more with no AC. No mechanical problems at all, and it's compact size is great for maneuvering in Los Angeles. The car costs nothing to operate besides the $19.99 oil change I get religiously, and gas.

Gas mileage, reliability, price.

It's a bit noisy inside, and my plastic wheelcovers squeak. City driving gas mileage is less than EPAs estimate of 27. It probably gets in the low 20s, but this is in LA traffic.

2005 Focus
By anonymous

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new for $11,000 under the Ford employee-discount sale. It's roomy inside, even for the rear seat, and it's practical and fun to drive. Early on there was a problem with the manual shift linkage that took a few tries to be fixed properly, but there haven't been any other troubles with the car since then. It's a very nice car for the money.

The price was the best aspect. I also like the handling and rear seat space.

I'd like to see better gas mileage. It gets about 30 mpg in primarily rush hour, but for such a small car with a manual transmission, I'd have wanted higher. The telescoping wheel that was on a higher-end model I test-drove would also have been nice to have on this base model.

Ford Focus
By Meghan

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in Nov. 2004. I had to take it the dealer to have transmission work. There was a transmission leak due to (slip boot cover?) had to be replaced. Transmission also had a rumbling noise when car reached speeds of over 35 mph. Apparently, the transmission was sitting on the axle and they had to take out the whole transmission and reposition it. I am glad I had the warranty to cover all of the repairs. Sometimes it is hard to shift (clutch gets stuck).

Good fuel mileage, good trunk space for the size of the car.

Make seats more comfortable, quieter interior when reaching speeds over 30 mph.

Fun Little Car!
By Gretchen Huiras

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my little car! It's super to drive in the city and comfortable to ride in on longer trips. I can drive for two weeks straight without having to go to the gas station, and for a single person, it is the perfect size. It has enough power that I can run the AC with minimal affect to the engine or gas tank. It has plenty of room for three people to sit comfortably, four being a little tight, but it is possible. It has been very reliable with only the 3000 mile check-ups bringing me to the dealer. It does well in both hot and cold weather and handles well in wet weather as well. As it doesn't snow in Savannah, GA., I can't comment on that. The stereo is wonderful. It's a fun car.

For its size, it has a lot of get up and go. It is a lot of fun to drive and very easy to drive. It sits very well on the road and handles curves like a pro. On the highway, it is really smooth and quiet. It likes to go fast, so driving it on longer trips is fun. It is also comfortable.

Chief complaint: When you put the back seat down, it doesn't allow for anyone to sit in the back. In other words, the back rest doesn't have a break in it allowing one side to go down and the other to be free for a third passenger. They have hopefully modified that in the 2005/2006 models.

Focus ZX3
By scionandfocus

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Took delivery of the second-least expensive version of the Focus available less than a month ago, a ZX3 S manual with air conditioning. With incentives, it had a no-haggle price of $11,062 (plus taxes, tags, and dealer charges). Toss in the car's roomy interior and great ride and handling, and the car seems like a winner. However, since we took delivery of the car, a problem with the manual transmission has appeared no fewer than five times, requiring three trips to the dealer that have yet to solve the problem. Hopefully this and any other problems with the car aren't widespread. Shoppers: it's worth counting on that to get what is probably the best small-car buy out there.

Well-designed manual operated mirrors, good rear seat space and access.

More secure manual transmission linkage, folding outside mirrors.