Used 2005 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 316 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

So Far So Good
By Deesan

2005 Ford Focus ZX3 S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 110 miles round trip for work every day, so I needed something that got better gas mileage than my full size Dodge pickup. The price on this car was way too good to pass up so I bought it. Anyway I set the cruise (installed after market) between 75-80 mph and I get 30-32 mpg. I figure that is pretty good for the speed I drive. In the couple of months I have owned the car I have not had any problems (knock on wood). The seats are comfortable and it drives pretty smooth. My only complaints so far are the road noise and the headlights. The noise isn’t too bad but could be quieter. The headlights are terrible, not bright at all.

Gas mileage

Brighter headlights. Quiet the road noise

Great Car!
By indichick88

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

From buying this car 3 years ago, I've been very pleased. I've never had to take it in for servicing and it's never caused my any major problems. I love how roomy the interior is, and how the car is the perfect size, not too large, and not too small. I've also been able to go on one tank for 2 weeks! Perfect for students and people just looking for an affordable, reliable car. No complaints!

Gas mileage is wonderful! Very roomy and comfortable.

Can't think of any.

Found a good one
By drivealot

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for more than a year. Purchased used. The front disc brake rotors need to be turned. They were like this soon after I purchased. Other than that it has only had normal needs; new tires, wiper blades and oil changes, it has been low maintenance and trouble-free. I get 40MPG highway and close to 30 in the city. I drive with fuel economy in mind. Mine has an auto transmission with a overdrive button on the shifter. I use overdrive for any driving over 35 MPH and it helps the in-town fuel consumption a lot.

MP3 player, sunglasses compartment, easy access to controls, lots of cupholders and stash areas for a salesperson or anyone who has a need for these places.

Allow the mp3 players to accept data DVD format so I can fit a huge amount of tunes in there. Although 120-plus songs on a CD is really good. Much needed rear-seat area lighting.. None at all present. Trunk is unlocked frequently due to my big thumb on autolock/keychain, warn me someway please.

2005 Focus
By Robo

2005 Ford Focus ZX5 SES 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I leased this car for 3 years. It has been pretty reliable and is good balance between practical and fun. Manual transmission gives good mileage (30mpg mostly highway). Engine has decent power, except when the A/C is on. Road noise is loud. Ride is stiff, but comfortable. Reliability is average. I have had an ABS issue, and a tank/gas cap seal problem. Both covered under warranty. I will warn that I have had major annoyance with engine starting. Sometimes it doesn't start right away and this has happened since I bought the car. It has gotten worse and dealership claims it is a flaw with engine design (this is from Ford, not the dealership)

Good gas mileage. Lots of cargo space. Love the hatchback with folding rear seats. I can't believe they got rid of the hatchback for 2008! Big mistake.

Ford should be proactive fixing design flaws. It's unacceptable to leave problems unfixed claiming they are design flaws (this is a Ford problem not just the dealership).

What Happened To Ford's "Quality"?
By Jerry

2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The engine and transmission began presenting problems shortly after I bought the car. The engine idles rough, runs rough and stalls when stopping. When the tranny changes, especially up/down from second to third gears, it sounds like pouring a bunch of screws into a metal bucket. Now is is slow going into gear from park. I cannot recommend buying any Ford Focus.

FMC, put quality back in your product!