Used 2004 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 345 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Mixed feelings
By Shirl

2004 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I do not like cars, but needed a vehicle and got a good deal on the Ford Focus. I have been amazed with its reliability, comfort and ease of driving. It is a very comfortable car to drive, and I drive in winding mountainous terrain. It drives well in the winter in snow. Very comfortable and reliable, but I just personally like SUVsl

Reliability. Never gives any problem. 62,000 miles and has just had general oil changes etc.

For a car it is unbeatable

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2 Door hatchback 2.0
By Ford for me

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had a couple minor problems with, but with mileage now at 135,000 and running well mostly, I can't really complain. Only problem is if I run for a while, stop for 10 minutes and start, has tendency to die on me. But as long as I stop and keep the engine running, no problem. Hope to drive it for many more miles. Runs like a new car (other than the one problem mentioned, really feels like a new car - really smooth.

Fuel economy very important for me, as is reliability and comfort. I'm thinking that because my car was put together in Mexico, maybe Ford could afford better parts. Best Ford I've had since the '78 Mercury Zephyr (should never have gotten rid of it at 100,000 miles). Buyer of it got 30k more.

Don't know what causes to die on me after I stop for a little bit. Been like that for two years, though, and not so bad, really. Be nice if could fix that.

My #1 Car
By Brian

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Ford Focus ZX3 back in late April and let me say that I love it. I bought it with 35,789 miles and the previous owner barley drove it but it needs a little of work. It has the 2.3L PZEV engine and it is quiet. The previous 2.0 SPI and Ztech engines were loud but the 2.3L PZEV is quiet. I get around 24 in the city and around 29 on the highway and I love it a lot. Like I said earlier it needs a little of work. It needs new rotors, front wheel bearings, and the transmission fluid needs to be cahnged but other than that it's my #1 car. I previously owned some junk vehicles before but this is a car that I would recomend to someone if they need a good vehicle.

Quiet, good gas mileage, overall good vehicle.

Drop in a 5 speed automatic and also drop in a 6 speed manual. Put in a diesel engine.

I still love this car!
By juliesincharge

2004 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my yellow [bumble bee, per my husband] SVT in early May 2004 and have been driving it non-stop ever since. The day "I" drove it off the lot, I did not know how to drive a stick, so my husband drove it home for me. I am now a pro! It is a fabulous car. It still feels new to me. I have had the sunroof motor replace (under warranty), the driver's seat belt (twice; under warranty), the clutch petal cover, and the rotors and brake pads at 45,000 miles (for that I blame the Ford mechanics; in retrospect, I do not think they needed replaced). There is not another car I want ... until the new model Mustangs come out! I've read there were only 123 of these made; is that true????

The car! Seriously, the seats, the heated seats, the back seats are very comfortable, the manual transmission, the sunroof, the stereo, the ease of viewing from all angles (the windows are great), and I love the headlights!

I wish it were a bit peppier on the uptake. I've had grandmas beat me off the starting line and it can be very embarrassing.

2004 Ford Focus ZTS Sedan 2.3
By Focus # 2

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Primarily a Toyata fan, this became my second Focus following an accident totaling the one I purchased in 2003. the biggest problem I have had was with a brake caliper sticking wearing out the low profile tires on the front end. Overall, tire wear has continued to be a problem I had never experienced.

Enjoy styling & often get comments on the color, "Tundra", light metallic green. Enjoy the roominess.

Access to the air filter could be better.