Used 2004 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 345 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Love the space
By Beej

2004 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is comfy to drive, with lots of cargo space. I love the large rear window so I can see out back. From the beginning I have had some skidding probs with the tires and now at 28000 miles am told I need new ones. That's disappointing.

Good cargo space, good visibility out rear window, PZEV engine

cross rails on roof rack, storage on passenger rear doors

Worst car ever
By pos svt

2004 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. I bought the car about a year ago with less than 50,000 miles and $6400 in repairs later it's still not right. I have replaced the A/C compressor and condensor, the swaybar twice, gauge cluster and I have had countless electrical problems. I just noticed that the 4th thermostat housing is leaking. The car surges while driving down the road and the dual mass flywheel is constantly chattering. When the car is running it's a blast to drive, but that really doesn't matter when it breaks down at least once a month.

Suspension

Buy a new car

No thanks, Ford U.S.A.
By jonny

2004 Ford Focus SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Ford had managed to take an absolutely proper car and ruin it with their typical 'gotta-save-money-ta-build-em- trucks' economics. Mine being plagued with the usual problems such as constant leaking coolant out of the thermostat, plastic clutch master cylinder that ruined the interior 3 times over, sticky butterfly valves on their 'revolutionary' dual cam design, right...and on it goes.

The equivalent ST170 focus sold in Europe is superb. An excellent execution of quality and presicion, the only thing it was allowed to give our SVT-counterpart was it's sophisticated suspension and braking components.

Perfect Balance
By Greg

2004 Ford Focus SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is a great fit for me. I am 6'2" and yet have sufficient head and leg room. I have two children, and we all can fit. It is economical to operate, but still has a great 'Fun Factor'. It is stylish, but also practical. There are cars with more economy, but that are no fun to drive. There are cars with more horsepower, but are significantly more expensive (and how much power can you realistically use before you get in too much trouble). This car, for me at lease, provides the best of both worlds, and it is disappointing that Ford discontinued this type of production.

Six speed transmission, four wheel disc brakes, peppy engine

Change to gear ratio to facilitate better highway mileage. At 70 mph, the engine is slightly over 3000 rpm in 6th gear. If you need acceleration, use 1st through 4th, which can take you significantly beyond any legal speed limit. 5th and 6th gears should have been left for economy.

Fun little car
By Irina

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a wonderful little car for me. I commute to school 125 miles round-trip every day, and it has been reliable every time. The only thing that I would improve would be the brake pads (they were not easy for the dealership to replace).

Sunroof, leather seats