Used 2004 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2 Door hatchback 2.0
By Ford for me

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had a couple minor problems with, but with mileage now at 135,000 and running well mostly, I can't really complain. Only problem is if I run for a while, stop for 10 minutes and start, has tendency to die on me. But as long as I stop and keep the engine running, no problem. Hope to drive it for many more miles. Runs like a new car (other than the one problem mentioned, really feels like a new car - really smooth.

Fuel economy very important for me, as is reliability and comfort. I'm thinking that because my car was put together in Mexico, maybe Ford could afford better parts. Best Ford I've had since the '78 Mercury Zephyr (should never have gotten rid of it at 100,000 miles). Buyer of it got 30k more.

Don't know what causes to die on me after I stop for a little bit. Been like that for two years, though, and not so bad, really. Be nice if could fix that.

My #1 Car
By Brian

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Ford Focus ZX3 back in late April and let me say that I love it. I bought it with 35,789 miles and the previous owner barley drove it but it needs a little of work. It has the 2.3L PZEV engine and it is quiet. The previous 2.0 SPI and Ztech engines were loud but the 2.3L PZEV is quiet. I get around 24 in the city and around 29 on the highway and I love it a lot. Like I said earlier it needs a little of work. It needs new rotors, front wheel bearings, and the transmission fluid needs to be cahnged but other than that it's my #1 car. I previously owned some junk vehicles before but this is a car that I would recomend to someone if they need a good vehicle.

Quiet, good gas mileage, overall good vehicle.

Drop in a 5 speed automatic and also drop in a 6 speed manual. Put in a diesel engine.

Decent and fun to drive!
By Roen

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 2004 Focus ZX3 for a little over a year now and so far no problems. I've heard Ford had fixed all the problems in the previous model year Foci into the 2004 models and it's pretty obvious. The 2.3L PZEV engine is very torquey at low RPM ranges, around 3,000 rpms, which is practically everyday RPM ranges. Very smooth ride, nice interior, and beautiful styling. Fuel economy isn't as great for a car this size, however. I calculated an average 26 mpg city/highway driving, which is what you'd expect from a larger vehicle like an SUV. But the 2004 Focus is an overall great car to drive that's actually more reliable than the previous model year Foci.

2.3L PZEV engine is torquey and has quiet decent power, nice sound system, nice interior with convenient controls, nice exterior styling.

Could use a bit more power coming from a 2.3L engine.

Sweet Surprise
By John Royce

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our Focus as a commuter but we use it so much more. We never buy 4 cylinders with automatic transmissions, but here it's perfectly mated. Steering is direct with good on center feel. The 2.3L PZEV engine is refined and responsive. It's quite roomy and the hatch lends SUV utility. At 40,000 miles, it has been totally reliable. It's solid, tight and remains an absolute pleasure to drive. Plus, the Audiophile in-dash 6CD stereo package is amazing in such an inexpensive car. It's also reasonably quiet, although better sound proofing could make this car nearly perfect. All in all, a dynamic, fun, surprisingly premium experience.

The ride/drive qualities surpass much more expensive cars. We rent a lot of cars, both here and abroad - the Focus' driving dynamics always welcome us home. We've grown to love the edgy styling. The five door's versatility is exceptional - the US should rediscover the hatch! Perfect reliability.

Door panel plastics are soft touch, show no wear, but dash plastic is hard. It's attractively grained and durable, but improvements would be welcomed. Our driver's side leather is starting to wear (expected at 40K?). Fuel economy is good but doesn't match Corolla/Civic. Better highway sound proofing.

Fun To Drive - Easy To Park
By NY Commuter

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A great car, wonderfully flexible and spacious interior, never felt claustrophobic like other cars in its class that I looked at (like Corolla, Matrix, Scion, Civic, etc.). 28 mpg average city-and-highway driving, and I drive in New York City. Zippy handling, comfortable ride, a real pleasure to drive. Why anyone who wants a small car buys anything else is beyond me. This car is a great bargain and completely reliable.

Large and flexible interior, great handling, great fuel mileage.

A split in the bottom cushion in the back to match the split in the back cushion so that you can fold part of the backseat without having to lift and eliminate the whole bottom cushion.