Used 2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 354 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Money Pit
By u2

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been towed to repair shops about a dozen times over the past 6 years. I would not buy a ford focus again.

REVIEW
By Mrs.Mechanic 6/23/10

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my car in 2006. It had 27,528 miles. Now at 113,200 miles. I have had no major problems with it, with the exception of poor lighting. I just replaced the motor mount, and the ignition switch last year(09). I think this is a great starter car for any young person.

Trunk space, gas mileage, Fun to drive.

Lights, need more room.

Poor Quality & Engineering-Ford Cops Out
By Cold Mainer

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car with great gas mileage if driven correctly. I average 34 MPG on the highway at 60 MPH. A major flaw of this vehicle has been the rear suspension. It has too much negative rear camber and not enough toe. This causes wear to the inside edges of the rear tires. This is not adjustable and must be accomplished with the use of aftermarket parts. It cost me $350.00 to get this problem fixed. It has stopped eating tires now and has improved the safety of the vehicle. I have 48,000 miles on my latest set of tires now. This vehicle was very dangerous when operated in snow and wet conditions. It always wanted to spin around before I got the rear end problem fixed. Trunk latch, ignition rp

Fuel economy

Recall tire wear issue, ignition switch repair, trunk latch problem, motor mount problems. I do not recommend anyone buying this car before a 2008 build date. The earlier models are very unreliable and most importantly unsafe.

Reliable as a tank
By Tdwillis

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan w/Zetec (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have had this car since it was new and now we have 188k on it and all I have to say it has been super reliable and flawless. The only problem early on were the front sway links, but mechanically our focus has been and still is remarkably reliable. The trans and engine is original and has never been serviced for nothing. We also have never had a check engine light come on and it passes the emissions test every time with flying colors. Our Focus also doesn't burn a drop of oil. I don't know why everyone else has had the problems they have with their Focus but my experience has been very positive. Driving this car 300k miles doesn't seem like a fantasy anymore.

My favorite features is are the six disc changer, the adjustable drivers seat, and the AC, which which cools better then my Malibu. The way this car drives and handles is another favorite of mine.

The sway bar links, wiper relay, rear trunk lock, door handles have been the only problem spots.

Solid
By Matt

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I knew even when I bought this car that I would never truly love it, but it has been rock solid for me over the last three years. Outside of routine maintenance, I haven't had a single headache or repair. I keep wanting something to go wrong so I can talk my wife into letting me get a sexier vehicle, but my Focus just keeps plugging away. I could have paid far more for a used Civic or Corolla, but I wouldn't have gotten a better or more reliable car.

reliability, fuel efficiency

front seats are uncomfortable and driver seat might not go back far enough for anybody over 6'0"