Used 2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 354 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Laundry List of Problems!!!
By rlsid21

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Ford Focus SE (Automatic) was my first car I ever purchased, little did I know that I should have done my homework before making the commitment. I bought it pre-owned through the Ford Dealership. I should have inspected it at first sight. It had two torn tires, the roof interior was covered completely in ketchup! I let that one go. Over the years, the ignition locked up, had to get that replaced, the engine gasket broke, the transmission went out completely, got that replaced $4,000 later (in March 2011), the sway bar started squeaking, now the having engine problems, the timing belt broke off, and valves need to be replaced (Sept. 2011) Mechanics quoted $2,000 for repairs.

Little to none with this category. The interior was nice but there could be more room for my tall passengers.

The Ford Focus was a complete disappointment. The interior was falling apart despite it's nice appearance. The screws were coming apart, the automatic trunk was clicking 3-4x every time I opened it (would get stuck almost every time!), ignition should NOT lock up to a point where the mechanic has to break it open to fix, the remote to open the driver door stopped working, mechanics were often frustrated trying to fix every little thing wrong with this car. How to improve? Get a Japanese made car.....

Don't Waste Your Money!
By rubypussycat

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was excited to get my used car in 2003, but quickly regretted buying it a year later. I first thought it was the dealership because the seatbelt still needed to be fixed and they took out the spare tire when I recieved the car the same day. I have kept all the receipts and made an excel list of all the repairs and maintence I have done so far. So here it is: 3 starters, 1 alternator, ingition switch, cd player fixed (it kept shutting off by itself), 3 positive battery terminals and positve battery cable. My car is now at 100,858 miles because I have done most repairs by myself, but I DO NOT recommend anyone to buy this car. This is not typical for any vehicle!!

I Love the interior! It has soo much room in the trunk and nice head room for passengers, but little leg room. It has great pickup and goes fast.

Very safe and reliable car
By malongal

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new and owned for 8 years. Drove sparingly with only 45,000 miles when she got totaled. I have been in 4 major accidents with this car (none of them my fault) and every time had no injuries and no interior damage to the car. Nothing ever had to be replaced except spark plugs and only issues were check engine light coming on for no reason and gauges flickering sometimes when the car was turned off. I enjoyed driving it, not the most comfortable for long periods of time but a very smooth ride. I am sad to see this car go, would have kept it for a very long time.

REALLY reliable
By twamebrown

2003 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been GREAT. I bought it with about 30k miles on it and now it has 90k with very little put into it. Give her regular oil changes and this car will just keep on going. I had to put new tires on it, new brakes and change the lock cylinder when I bought it, but outside of that, it has been perfect. It runs smooth and shifts beautifully. I get about 25 mpg with mostly city driving. Sometimes when I shut the trunk it doesn't latch, but I just have to shut it again. Great car, will drive it into the ground.

The 5 speed is awesome to drive. It is the anti-ticket car: I have it in grey--the ultimate blend-in color. The blaupunkt stereo system is pretty dang nice.

The light over the rear seats should have a switch on it, as opposed to only on the steering column.

Great Car for Reasonable price.
By lilkk

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2003 Ford Focus ZX3-5 speed manual since July of 2003. For being a lower priced vehicle I couldn't have asked for a better more reliable vehicle. I've only had two problems over the last, almost, 8 years. The first full summer I owned the vehicle the A/C went out, but was covered under warranty-no hassles. Recently I had to replace the alternator, otherwise besides routine maintenace it has been a fantastic reliable vehicle I couldn't be happier. When I bought the vehicle I was just going to college. The storage in the back of the vehicle is amazing for the size. For being a small vehicle it handled Wisconsin winters very very well.
Definitely recommend Focus.

Sunroof, pick up, storage space.