Used 2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 354 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Got ripped off what people say is true about the focus
By kyle710

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it 6 months ago its a 2003 with 96000 miles I got a bad deal on it since it was a buy here pay here deal 8500$ but still. In the 6 months its been on a tow truck 3 times first the alternator that happen 20 min after I bought it! But they thought it was the battery so they fixed that for me then The check engine light was on brought it to my mechanic and they said it needed a thermostat and new hoses. 610$ later. Then the ac compressor went out and had that towed because it LOCKED the whole car up and wouldnt start. Now my check engine lights on again and also the "check gas cap" light and the gas cap is on... I never thought a car could be so buggy. Giving it back when taxes come back

Handling and radio. But can feel ever bump in the road and when its raining or road is wet the front shocks sound like a sweaky toy. But speakers are rather Impressive for 9 year old stalk speakers.

Um I can only hope the new focus is better i think it just needed a all new redesign. Its just a cheap car that isnt so cheap to maintain. And btw its an auto trans which is starting to mess up which is sending the check engine light on and off sometimes my mechanic said. Sad even my own dealership after the fact said to me. "a Ford focus is like a bic lighter once it runs outta gas you throw it away." I agree completely! Dont know if id buy another ford again.

Love this car
By seahawk68

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 14,000 miles, it was a car rental from Hertz. I know have 160,000 miles. I have driven this car every where. I put studs on it and in snow and ice it is like a tank. I put low profile tires during the summer and it cruises and hugs the corners. I have had not issues with this car except the usuals of tires, lights and stuff like that. It is so fun to drive, I have had it eight years now and I still love driving it

Love driving it

Maitenance is not user friendly, the engine conpartment is so tight that it is very hard to change anything. It took me and a friend three hours to get the alternator out of the engine compartment. it took ten minuetes to get it disengaged from the motor and three hours to romve from where it was because there was no room to pull it out. We had to use a crow bar and pry it out.

TERRIBLE
By poohbealov

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

bought this at 81,000 miles was good until about 85,000. New motor mount, then a new engine, then a huge exhaust leak, then the engine was misfiring, then had to take it back to ford to get the lifters replaced, now i am waiting on it in the shop because they had to replace the instrument cluster. a total of about 5,000 in repairs in just a year. It's rediculous! i spend more time without a car then i do with one. I just barely hit 97k miles!

Nothing really, the seats i feel are comfertable some people complain about them the trunk is nicely sized too.

try learning to build a car ford. one that doesn't break down every month.

not my fav car but she saved my life.
By brit6

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

for the most part i like this car.. not my fav car i've had but i was recently re-ended in my focus and she did exactly what she was designed to do. adjuster said there is a impact bar behind the bumper. when the guy in the jeep that rear ended me it bent and bounced him back off of me and destroyed his front end but looked like it didn't do a thing to my rear ended besides looking like it got tapped a lil. it hurt.. i will be honest about that but if i was in a different vehicle the outcome would of been different and a lot worse. did about 2300 dollars in damage but is not totaled. for the price.. i will never complain again for my money. does have it's issues but what ford doesn't??

it's simple in every category. almost a idiot could drive it. definitely replace factory radio. i stuck with a blaupunkt.. factory sucked but i love my aftermarket cd player for sure.. i did have subs in the trunk and it sounded awesome in this little car. wish i had cruise control on mine for road trip but i love the fact that i have a hard time squeezing 35 bucks in the tank for almost empty. get decent gas millage. wish i was better in the city. brakes are great. has it's own issues but like i said. what ford doesn't?? but i can agree fords are tough.

definitely needs more space overall

Wow ! Love it !
By antho14

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2003 Ford Focus Se Comfort is my first car.I bought it used on July 2010 for the sum of $ 3,200 from a dealer.The rust was starting on the bottom but I paint it completely and give it back a fresh brand-new look.The flexible part of the mufler' pipe juste broke.The oil seal broke too. I replaced 2 door locks. The suspension is very smooth, love it!The acceleration is poor but the car itself is maid to economize fuel and I like it. Great body look, unique one !After 78 000Mi in 9 years, the car looks new.The interior is simple but I love it that way.Hard plastic make noise but, the great 4 speakers sound system make me forget them. In overall, a great car but the body is fragile and rust.

-Great look (inside and outside !) -Smooth suspension -Poor fuel consomation -Fun to drive -Comfortable seats -Engine fiability

-The body rust easily...This is unfortunate because the look is great and we need to paint it again to fight the rust. -The reliability of some body parts.