Used 2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 354 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

More fun than expected
By driven1320

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I knew what I wanted initially: a small hatchback with good mpg and a manual trans.
However, I never expected to like it this much.
The old saying that its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow... this car nails it.
Driving around town I find this car more satisfying than my 400hp Mustang.
Its reasonably peppy, doesn't have to be revved, and with the addition of a stiffer rear swaybar, the handling is a blast.
Tons of room too.
On one trip I managed 3 people and a 50" tv.
On another, a full dresser.
It's got 140k miles on it, so a few things are starting to go, but I'd say its held up incredibly well.
Couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Fun to drive, seat bolstering, looks, utility, Not from an Asian automaker

Underpowered, boring, but reliable.
By njoosse

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We owned this car for a little over 5 years.
It gave us very little trouble, and was very economical.
We got rid of it with 100,000 miles.
At that point it was a very rattly annoying car to drive.
Also very underpowered, passing someone had to be all planned out.
Awesome on fuel, but I think a Civic or a Mazda would have been a lot more fun.

Nothing

Performance, fit and finish

avg bang for avg buck
By midlevelbuyer

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Whaddya expect... you're buying a used car!
Granted I bought it 40km and am now past 130k, but its been a great car for the buck.
( had a Toyota dealer ask 10k for the used price at first though? what the..!!)

But reading through these reviews its obvious too many poor quality parts were used given how many similarities in repairs:
trunk latch has been replaced 3x now and still doesn't latch all the time.
Door handles.
Ignition locked up.
Battery is being drained by something,
replaced once already.
Sway bar/bushings.

But be realistic.
Otherwise its been a great little mid level car.

moved a few times now, and it fits a surprisingly decent amount. Decent power given its not a high performance vehicle. Maneuvers well. Seats sit high, with adjustable steering level. (nice for us 5'2 peeps lol)

Trunk needs to have the back seats fold down to allow for a bike. Seats do go down, but the permanent frame around the back of the seats doesnt let anything lay flat. Watch the cup holders. not full size which means I've stained the carpet around both front and back holders because I assumed they could hold the cups in a turn... they can't -_- fix the trunk latch!!!!!!! crappy door handles. more comfortable back support for the front seats. Different shape for the back door frames, very hard to fit large shopping items into the back. seat.

Focus for average people
By connemara

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Cheap to buy used, good solid reliability, few issues, good mileage, fun to drive, very easy to service

High seating position enables you to see well, don't get the feeling you are sitting on the floor like in a Honda Civic. Lots of headroom and seating room, large trunk for such a small car. I have over 200kms on my car and repairs other than the normal maintenance items such as brakes, tires, oil changes, plugs, serpintine belt and timing belt have been minimal. Wiring to trunk lid (brake light, electric trunk release) broke and shorted where it bends (poor plastic insulation on the wires not meant for colder climates I think) and anti-sway bar links are my only items needed. Plan to keep it until it dies - another 5 years or 500,000kms??

Not much - poor interior lighting in the back seat, a little more sound insulation and a change to better wiring insulation to prevent the above issue. ALL Focus should come from the factory with front (optional now) mud guards to prevent sill rusting. A coating of gravel guard from the factory would also help

Horrible Car
By laurenglamtm

2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this care used at 85,00 miles for $5000 and I guess you get what you paid for. Within the first few months I had to get the transmission replaced and from there it has been down hill. I havent even had the car for 4 years and I have had to get a new alternator, spark plugs, coolant resivor, vacuum pump, two thermostats, a plastic piece that connects my coolant resivor to my radiator, and two window pullys that broke. I'd say by now I could have gotten a brand new car....Thats how expensive all the repairs cost. Now it makes a weird rattle noise when I idle and the ford dealership can't figure out what it is....and let me tell you it is a really LOUD rattle. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!