Used 2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 354 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Ford Fun Car...
By Ford Fun CAr...

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great city and short range trip car. Tight! Quick, totally adaquate. Can steal a parking place in a heart beat! Handles great. Would definitely recomment or buy again. Plus good visibility.

Hatchback! Amazing what you can get in the back!

Seat release control - It takes two hands to fold seat forward - you gotta wonder why they make seat release turn backwards yet to have to pull forward

I love this car!
By SVT1105

2003 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Well, I have only had this car for a week now, but I love this car! It's so fun to drive and its peppy! I have had so many people say they love it! I really don't think I have had any issues or complaints about the vehicle! I would recommend this car to everyone who wants a sporty, fun car to drive with decent gas mileage!

Color, 6 speed manual, 17' Alloys, red and black matching seats, white faced guages and the handling!

None!

4 years and counting
By Loyola C.

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm torn on this car. I've had it for 4 years and had to replace the alternator today (cost $531.89 p/l). Like some other people, early in the purchase I had problems w/the ignition and had to have it replaced. I had to have the tires replaced too. I've always made sure to service the vehicle and care for it as instructed, and other than the alternator, I haven't had to deal w/any major repairs yet. For a lower end car, I think it has done pretty good.

Really good highway mileage. Drove from Salt Lake to Vegas to Phoenix & back; cost about $160.00 for gas.

It seems like an alternator shouldn't need to be replaced after 4 years. Easier access to the break lights/bulbs for replacement.

Fun to drive, bang for buck
By black euro

2003 Ford Focus SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is a blast to drive fast and aggresive, but is also good for just cruising and driving for better gas mileage. The car is compact yet has very useful, roomy interior, for a car this size. The brakes and handling are superb. The exhaust note is like a well tuned performance car, not loud and buzzy. The engine has a wide power band and it will pull all the way to its 7200 redline. It’s hard to find a better bang for your buck. I have seen so many other compact and b segment cars priced well above what these cars sell for. And most don't even come close to the performance, value and fun factor of this car. The car has been problem free since I owned it and I drive it daily, and enthusiastically.

Heated recaro seats, hidden headlights, euro appearance package. Gertrage 6 speed. Audio system.

Factory ecu programming is horrible. (for emissions purpose) could use some more power (super or turbocharger)a limited slip differential would have been nice. And rear or all wheel drive also would have been nice. Oh well cant have it all and be cheap too.

Not worth the money
By ckw

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first two years I had the car it worked great. I had no problems with it. Then it started having problems. First, the radio went out. Then I began to have brake problems. Then my water pump and related components began to develop holes. Now the brake pads have worn down and the alternator has just about gone out. In the last 2 years, my car has been in the shop 5-6 times. Additionally, I used to get really good gas mileage. Now, it's below average and my driving habits have not changed (perhaps due to the alternator). I've had other cars that maybe went to the shop once in their whole lifetime.

MP3 player, trunk release easy to get to

Make seats more comfortable and add an rpm guage to all models.