Used 2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 354 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2003 Focus ZTW
By Roger

2003 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I now have 135000 miles on this car. I have owned it from new. Only problem is that it wears out a lot of tires. Doesn't seem to help to align and rotate. last set of tires lasted 20,000 miles. Perhaps because they are the low profile 16 inch. Otherwise car uses no oil, averages 23mpg combined city and highway.

Good reliablity - except for tires

Improve quality of suspension components.

First Car from Dealership
By Dragonz

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive. I bought it at 37000 miles, 5 years old, but it still ran smooth. I had to replace the alternator and battery only a month after I got it, but the dealerhsip replaced those for free, even though they weren't on the warranty. It's sporty, great gas-milage, and has a sun-roof which is always fun. Recently took it on a trip to Wendover and it ran smoothly.

CD player, cruise control and rear- windshield wipers. The basics make the car. Very confortable.

I'd add a latch on the back to open the trunk. Sun roof ruins arodynamics of car and creates a low-pitch thumping noise on freeway. Could use better acceleration.

Fun Little Car
By James

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I was traveling long distance to work, at first 120 miles on way now about 60. The gas mileage is good. I avergave about 30 mpg. I have really enjoyed having it. No major problems. I did have to replace the ignition switch once and the engine light stays on, I'm told it's because of where I buy my gas. I just find this a fun little car. My entire family enjoys the car. It goes good in the snow and wet roads as long as I take it nice and easy. Ford must have done something right with this one because I see lots of them on the road.

It feels like a safe car. Small but safe feeling. Plenty of visibility.

Ability to put the back seats down from inside the car not just through the trunk.

Great Car
By 2112Rush

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This Focus has been the most reliable and fun car that we have had so far. It's is great with gas. Only big problem that we've had with it is something with the timing belts. But overall it has been a great car, very, very reliable. And the price isn't bad either.

Nice sound system and great handling

Improve the interior

Not The Best
By Jennifer

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dad originally bought this car for me for my first car. I will say that for a first time driver, it is decent. Very easy to drive. For the few years I owned it, I never had any mechanical problems with it. The 4cyl. engine, in my opinion, is way too small. Awful pickup on the highway. It is very low to the ground and had a tendency to bottom out. Also, not really good in the snow. Decent MPG though. I ended up trading it in for a 07 Jeep Liberty, which I love and would recommend to someone over the Focus.

Cute style.

More pickup. Better in the snow.