Used 2002 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great car for college students!
By KatS

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since I was 16. Now I am in college and drive a ton. The fuel efficiency is great, I can get up to 350 miles on one tank. It is extremely fun to drive, has great handling. It's very spacious, including the trunk. The rear suspension is not adjustable and can be very pricey to get repaired if damaged.

Lots of room, fuel efficiency, rides nicely.

Rear suspension needs to be adjustable.

Runs Great BUT Eats Tires
By MBFlorida

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I researched many different brands of cars in the same price category before choosing the 2002 Ford Foucs SE Comfort Sedan. I love the styling, the interior especially the tilt/telescoping steering wheel and the height adjustable driver's seat. I am tall at 6 ft 2 in. so many small cars were just way too small.The Focus fits nicely without making me look like a clown unfolding from a clown car. At almost 4 years old I have had few problems other than excessive tire wear. I replace my tires every 20000 miles or less from the first 20000 miles on.

Great Styling inside and out, Great Stereo sound (single disc CD) awesome height adjustable driver seat, tilt/telescoping steering wheel.

Been to dealer many times & wrote letter to Bill Ford to complain about car eating tires every 20000 miles. Dealer says it's because its a lite car & they just do that. Ford Corporate offers no resp. Offered me friends & fam disc just days b-4 offering to gen public. Give me a fix or tell the truth

I never thought I would drive a Ford
By Ibrat29

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, it is reliable and I have not had any problems. I got it to replace my Plymouth Breeze after I was in a auto accident. The color and the room in it is awesome, and it's really comfortable for road trips. And the gas mileage is awesome, 26mpg around town, and 31mpg highway.

My 6 in-dash CD changer! I can't live without my music

This Focus needs no improvements.

Great Small Car!
By Kaye

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was very pleased with how well the car handles. I live in a high traffic city and do a lot of stop and go. I have had no problems, just regular maintenance. I am very happy with the gas mileage of 26 to 28 mpg. I would certainly recommend this vehicle for anyone who likes a smaller car that handles well in traffic and is easily parked.

The good gas mileage (especially with the price of gas) and the ease of handling.

Perhaps better seats.

Do NOT buy a Ford Focus!
By Chill

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Despite regular maintenance and only 52,000 highway miles, the engine completely blew up. $4K to repair! Lots of rattles and very loud going highway speeds. Rear power window mechanism broke for no apparent reason. Radio would turn itself off on a daily basis. Fuel efficiency was about 30 mpg and it handled okay, but who cares when the engine goes at 52K miles?! Whatever you do, stay away from this car. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's a good choice! Ford does NOT stand behind this car. Better get the extended warranty because you'll certainly need it. There are better ways to spend your money -- the Focus isn't the answer.

Gas mileage was pretty decent, but nothing to write home about. Maneuvers well in small parking lots and narrow areas.

An engine that goes past 52K miles would be nice. Needs better sound proofing. Reduce door, window, and dash rattles. Improve trunk design so all the soot and dirt from driving doesn't congregrate on the trunk lid and get your hands filthy when it's time to open/close the trunk.