Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

JUST SAY NO
By saynotoford

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was trouble the first three months I had it. The radio just stopped working, and I had to replace the alternator. ALL of the window regulators have broken, and one is broken for a second time. Ford UNUSUALLY built it with 3 motor mounts instead of 4, so they will wear, and it cost about 200 each to replace. Even the mechanic said he didn't know why Ford did that. I had to replace all of the spark plugs. The housing temperature unit thing is made of plastic and leaked coolant. it has custom tires so be ready to pay if you need to replace them. Mine rides extremely rough, and I do get oil changes and transmission flushes.

At this point.. NOTHING.. the heater is good after you warm the car up for 20 minutes.

Started great and then fell off a cliff
By cdock

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Year One:Didn't drive it too much I lived like 3 miles from my job. only put about 3000 on car in first year. Year Two: cd changer stops working right makes weird noise and scratches cds. Take car in they swap out cd player and mail me a cd that was someone a 7th cd inside the changer when it was fixed. About 4 months later rear wheel bearings need replacement and front sway bar cracked they weld it. Years 3-7: cd player replaced 4 times sway bar welded 3 more times 60K miles coolant leak fixed 80K coolant leak fixed 81K power steering goes and oil starts leaking power steering fixed. 83K ignition locks and passenger window falls down on its own while driving repairs for year 7-8 =3,600

I loved the handling before the sway bar kept cracking. Car always felt very sturdy and safe. No problem putting three car seats in the back. Like the instrument setup and the hatchback. Lots of room to put stuff. Hell, I put a loveseat from Ikea in it and shut the trunk and drove it home.

Better sway bar. fixed 4 times. Power steering going out at 80K is not cool. Rear seatbelt locks and had to have entire bench seat removed to unlock it. Ignition goes bad and road side assistance guy says "i do this on focuses all the time" needs new ignition and keys. Cd changer always broke.

Would Not Do It Again
By Robert

2002 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing but problems with this car since I purchased it new in 2002. General frame problems at first - the front passenger floor leaked excessively, had to be repaired.Twice it has overheated, needed temperature gauge replaced, and of course the entire cooling system needed flushed. Within the past few years I've had approximately $2,000 in repairs (including problem above, as well as transmission problems, motor coil problems, all in addition to regular routine maintenance-tune ups, oil changes). Mostly the car has been used to drive to/from work, and around town, very few long trips. Now-138,000 miles,and it's basically dead (unless I fork out another $2k in repairs). Fed up!

Comfortable, good mileage, large trunk.

Build a better car. My escort before this last over 150,000 miles and counting, never had a problem.

I hate this car
By Terrible car

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was bored with my old car and gas prices were rising. I decided I would go and test some cars out. I ended up getting the Focus. 2 weeks after I bought it my door locks stopped working. 3 weeks after that I had to have the sway bar replaced. Then the motor mount. Then the alternator. Then my electrical system went out. 6 disc cd player broke. I swear it eats tires and headlight bulbs. Up to date I have had the car for almost 3 years. It has 137k miles on it. I have replaced the motor mounts 5 times. I bumped a curb and the side air bag deployed. I have had my car in the shop so many times the car rental people know me by name. Ford makes terrible cars and I would recommend you stay away.

When I first bought it... fuel economy. Now that is even terrible. I used to get 38 mpg on the highway. Now I am around 25 mpg and my driving has not changed.

Everything needs to be thought over again. Numerous recalls need to be issued. The car stinks, just to be blunt. It is a terrible car and I regret ever buying it.

Great little car
By Bernie

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for over 5 years now and it's been overall a great experience. The car has over 82,000 miles now and I still get over 29 miles per gallon and the engine still runs strong. never had a problem with it other than a faulty spark plug, but that is maintenance. one and two year old domestic cars are the way to go!! you get a new car at a fraction of the cost.

fuel economy, comfortable seats, quality of cloth, ice cold a/c (even at 82000 miles). great turning ratio and perfect size (for a family of 4)

body color door handles and break away side mirrors would have been nice.