Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

After 9 years and 123k miles, Bev is starting to bite the dust
By lsgrant

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So Bev, my 2002 ford focus 2x5, has been GREAT for the 5 years I have owned her. Last year is when it all began. Most of the repairs have been typical maintenance things you would have to fix on any 9 year old/123k mile car, but I wasn't expecting to fix the alternator $400, a/c $450, clutch $600, and 2 of the 4 power windows (the windows!? which are $300 EACH). CD player has been broken for a few years. I can usually get it to work (except the volume control has hardcore issues), but the CD player repair is LAST LAST on my list. My biggest recommendation: find a GREAT mechanic who will give you a deal with all these crazy repairs that will probably happen all at once.

I get 34 mpg highway (driving 65mph w/ a/c on), 6 disc CD changer (which is actually malfunctioning lol), CRAZY spacious. I take my car CAMPING all the time, and she's a trooper. I can seriously fit anything in the trunk/back seat. I can fit 2 car seats and an 8 year old in my back seat. The backseat is a little small for adults, but I've also had 3 adults back there, too.

The power windows mechanism is a POS!! The part is about $175 dollars itself and my repair bill for each window was $300!! I had an old Honda before this car and the alternator never broke nor the clutch. I'm actually quite shocked to have to replace both on this car. Get a great mechanic you trust who will give you a deal!!

Avoid the 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 at all costs!
By czechmate1974

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

1st of all this car has a automatic transmission not manual. I had 108,000 miles on the car and the head gasket blew and the entire cooling system failed along with the thermostat. This caused my temperature gauge to show me in the "normal" range when really I was burning my car up and did not know it. I had coolant everwhere and white smoke out of my engine. $2500 to $3000 to fix. This car had many problems over the years. All the power window motors were constantly breaking. Had to replace 3 and they are $300+ to fix. I hate this car, it ruined my life. Avoid it at all costs.

I liked the sporty look and the interior.

Everything! This car is made on the cheap. The parts are expensive to replace so you dont save money by buying this cheap car. Buy Honda or Hyundai. I would avoid the new Ford Focus models even though there have been "improvements". I dont trust Ford anymore. I lost a 2000 Ford Focus to engine failure with only 120,000 miles. So got burned 2x.

Far better than I had hoped -A good buy
By DT

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife had an accident with her 2000 Cavalier and we needed a car in a hurry. This is what we found. I had poor experiences with Ford in the eighties, but the car had the features, price, and storage for her needs. We have had the car for over 80,000 miles now (we bought it with 79,000) and I must say, this is the most reliable Ford I've ever owned, we've had very little repair work done. It handles nimbly for a wagon and accelerates well. My only gripes are very poor thigh support in the front seats (making drives longer than 90 minutes uncomfortable) and poor gas mileage for a 4-cylinder car (this car gets roughly 25-26 mpg in a 70/30 mix of city/highway driving).

Cabin heater is excellent. It feels sporty to drive even though it's a small wagon, both in handling and acceleration. Plenty of rear storage.

Adding a 5th gear to the automatic transmission would help gas mileage. Redesign of front bucket seats sorely needed for thigh support. 6-disc changer ate several discs; better to have single-disc CD/MP3 player. Moderate brake squeal even after a full brake job. Leather but no heated seats.

Could have been better
By John

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had electrical sensors, power steering, premature strut failure, funny tire wear, clutch master cylinder and about every other problem known to man. The car gets bad gas mileage for an econo- box at average 24 mpg and I've done better and averaged 29 mpg over the cars life. This is terrible for a car that weighs nothing with a manual. Better luck will be had with any other car.

It was cheap and I didn't have to get a loan for it

Quality, if nothing lasts longer than 60,000 miles you need a better engineer

Our Ford focus at 184k miles
By azasadny

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car for our son a couple of years ago and we now have 184,000 miles on it. We have had to replace the coil pack, plugs, wires, shocks, front struts, alternator and several small parts, but overall we are 100% satisfied. This car is 8 years old with this many miles on it and still runs great, no oil leaks, no oil burning, etc. This is an economy car that is still economical to own and fun to drive. With this many miles, parts are obviously going to wear, but parts are cheap, the car is easy and inexpensive to repair and it's safe for our son. He was in a serious accident last year and the car held together and protected our son and daughter. We had a body shop get the car back.

Sunroof, tight steering and corners flat, no body roll upon cornering, inexpensive parts

Keep making this car, especially bring back the hatchback!