Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

I love this car- one of the best I have owned
By dino3721

2002 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my wagon 5-speed with 120K miles on it and it did not have much care before I owned.
I drive about 25K a year.
I had to put some decent money in it but I bought if far below bluebook.

With all that said- I love this car.
It is GREAT mileage.
I get 29.5 in town and 34-36 on the hyway.
I keep it in tiptop shape- but it is fun to drive, rides very well, and can carry about anything.
The only thing I don't like is the seats are not as comfortable as I would like.
I would buy this car again and I am considering buying a 2nd for a spare.

I put alot of miles on a car and I have been very happy with my wagon.
It looks good- however, I have jacked it out a bit.

Mileage is GREAT. Lots of power. Stereo sounds good. Rides really nice. Can turn on a dime. I have put money in it but the parts have been very reasonable. Good features. I understand that all cars need parts and care- so I am a little more open than most to doing a little work. It looks good- even my 16yo nephew told me he wanted one. Not bad for a station wagon.

Seat comfort is needing to be improved. Center console lid spring seems to be be a common problem but also an easy fix. The cubby hole in the dash I wish had a pull out drawer in its place instead of open storage. I am being picky- only because I love this car. It has so much power I wish they would have put in a 6th speed for even better mileage.

Looks can be and ARE deceiving with the 02 Focus
By himynameisnick

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought her used at 78K Miles. She held up fine until 84K at which time the water pump went out. Then a cracked rear wheel bearing. THEN at 98K the tranny went...$3000 to replace. Then the AC would stall the car out at idle. Then a ignition coil replacement at 104K. then the alternator a week later!!! Seems like she was in the shop at least once a month fer sure.
she drove fine for another 10K THEN the FREAKING MOTOR threw a valve-lifting rod! Also since day 1 of ownership, the car had overheating problems and i spoke to friends who owned the same year focus, same problem as well. All that being said, she held the road like [non-permissible content removed]! and she handled really well. looks sick too!

Roomy comfy interior

great...until
By jenna77

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car right out of high school in 2005. It had 54k miles at the time. Most the time I've owned it I worked close to home so in the 6.5 years I owned it I only put 53k miles on it. So I thought it would last me a bit longer still since it had 107k on it. Well it sounded rough recently, then bam broke down. pulled the car apart and the valve seat had come lose and sucked the valve in to the intake. Spreading metal shards all through the cylinders. So its shot. Sold as is for $500 because we needed a 2nd car right away. but at least I got as long as I did out of it. Maybe a lemon?

Do not buy a focus
By max116

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. I drive it to a nd from work, less than 10,000 miles a year.
The car is the worst car that I had.
Water occasionally leaks into the cabin, which smells of mildew.
Shocks needed to be changed (front) at around 60,000 miles.
Brakes re-done around 75,000 miles, first the hydraulics of one of the drums then the main pump.
Car is not very stable and tends to skid around unless you use premium tires.
Latch in the rear hood kind of broken after 20,000 miles.
Disks of front brakes needed to be changed after 50,000 miles.

Ford screwed up my chances of going to college!!!
By ben31027

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus handles well... but either you can get one with a bad motor or one with a bad transmission.. Avoid 2000-2005 models :( Finding out a lot about recalls.. magically I have the same issues as the recalls, but that my car is not included on them.. and finding out a lot about "silent recalls".. recalls that Ford will fix only if you complained about the issue before your warranty went out, then it's a BIG [violative content deleted] from the blue oval.

The car handles well in dry conditions.. see a raindrop or snowflake.. go ahead and park it.. the car will be all over the place..

Gas mileage is all over the place.. I can get 30 MPG one day, and the next day on the same route, I can get as little at 18-20 MP

fun to drive, radio when it works...

Back doors wouldn't shut at 100k ($500). Alternator at 100k ($600). Timing belt at 100k ($400). Stock stereo went out ($300). Driver's seat wore out at 100k (still not fixed.. looking at $800). Back window regulators at 105k ($400). Overheating at 110k. Was told it was a thermostat ($150). At 115k, all of my headlights went out; a relay ($250). Goes through tires and brakes like no one's business (sets of tires are $600, since they are 205/50 R16). Ignition switch (key stuck in ignition) at 120k ($350). Ignition coil pack at 128k ($275). At 140k miles, the timing belt yet again (it shredded) ($800). Water pump was leaking at the same time; replaced. At 142k, had to replace both