Used 2002 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Wagon

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great until now
By Matt in Portland Ore

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Vehicle has been great up to now. It has 75,000 miles. I have driven a mix of city and highway with minimal problems. A few weeks ago the car begain sputtering upon starting. Typically it would go away in a few minutes. This past Monday it got worse. When I pushed the accelerator it was as though it was not connected. Mechanic replaced the ignition coil but this did not solve the problem. They do not know what the problem is.

Leather seats, sun roof, stereo, exterior look

Too much road noise. Engine longevity

Bang for the buck
By mrdestefano

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Driven it for 6 years with no major problems. For $14.5k new, it was a great deal. I have the manual transmission and it is a fun car to drive. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have fit into it with all the seats down. I am pretty good about checking the mileage and get 24/28 for city/hw.

Cargo space, handling.

MPG not the greatest for the size of the car (I think they improved this with later models though).

Average car with some big goofs
By mad chalet

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used a year ago. I liked the look of the car, the format, and I have heard good things about it from Euro owners. After owning it for a year I have discovered cosmetic problems and handling problems, as well as build problems. The carpeting doesn't match the contour of the body so it is pulling away from the trim, and actually tearing. The rear suspension is dangerous, skipping across bumps instead of absorbing them. There are lots of rattles caused by poorly fit plastics. The transmission is okay, but could shift more smoothly - it seems to be hunting for the right gear sometimes, with reluctance to downshift (you have to 'punch' the pedal)

The appearance and carrying capacity.

Better rear shocks. More room for the rear seats. Head rests for the rear. Better transmission. I'm concerned about what I've heard/read about limited tire availability due to odd size, making tires

When they are bad, they are really bad
By D&J

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. The fule mileage has been awful. I am a conservative driver and have had it to the dealer multiple times with no result. The car stalls, randomly downshifts, and has had to have a fuel pump replaced. I went with a Ford because I trusted that they really had improved. What a disapointment. My 16 year old Camry with 160,000 miles is more reliable and gets better gas mileage. Check these cars very carefully. I have friends that love theirs, but when there is a problem, the car is a real pain in the rear. Oh, and the 16 inch rims make new tires far more expensive, so consider getting the other model with the 15 inch rims to save some money.

Decent display and cockpit. Would say the radio, but we've had to replace three of them.

Serious quality control.

A real lemon
By Charles Zeller

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My experience with the Focus wagon was extremly bad very nice car but unreliable, was in the shop every other day begining on the first week of purchase. Electrical problems and front brake problems also including cooling problems which the dealer could not fix during warranty time.

Plenty of space and great to transport children.

They can improve on the electrical system and suspension.