Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 304 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great car so far!
By truckguy37

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 2002 Focus ZX3 5spd last summer with 201,000 on it...for $700 drove it home!
Knew it needed a couple things...didn't realize it needed more....Took the cover off the timing belt for inspection (Zetec motor) looked like the timing belt had never been replaced after 201,000 miles...the cracks were on the outside of the belt ready to snap! Had my mechanic look at it and it was very solid car no rust at all..and the seller never told me it had all new brake and fuel lines!! After spending $1,500 to get most of it done, it seems to be pretty good so far. I take it long and very short drives and doesn't leave me stranded. Getting 37 mpg is pretty good too!

The heat is unbelievable! I never had heat work soo well in a car! AC might need to be refilled! The car is soo good on gas I swear I dont pay much for it at all! Im used to driving a Grand Marquis... Im at 210,000 miles right now..and running great! Id get another Focus!!! but I wouldn't get the Split Port engine as the valve seat tends to drop into the cylinder...and be sure to replace the tming belt at the suggested intervals...which is 120,000 or 10 yrs....and the Zetec will last for 300,000 miles!

WORST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED.
By badluckforme

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before this terrible 2002 Focus, I owned a Pontiac G6 with a ton of problems to. But this is by far the worst car ever. Bought the car for 4,000 with 113,000 miles on it. Have put almost 3,000 dollars into it since then. Isn't reliable whatsoever. Me being a college student I need a reliable car and this one is not it. First cyl went out right after I got it. It started stalling with AC on. Then it started overheating while sitting at a light/parked. Had to get all new wiring in the engine, and timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, and now my current problem is the terrible vibration at 140,000!!!!!(more wrong than just this) I can't take this anymore. time to sell this terrible nightmare.

none.

Maybe ford should make a bit more of a reliable car. time to turn to foreign cars!!!

6 Year owner and active forum member
By nosstang

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This was my first car at 16 and I still own it today. As you can imagine a 16 year old with a modified SVT focus tends to think he is Ken Block... So my focus has had alot of abuse and I feel my review has some merit for a daily driven and hooned focus

The car has never left me stranded but requires some timely maintenance.

Common repairs for this car other then wear and tear. Thermostat housing, The car would IDLE at 2k when first started. Had ford re flash the ECU with a updated control map and fixed the problem (common and known problem)

My odd issues. Ignition Coil would cut off #4 cylinder. Thus replaced with aftermarket MSD.
Wheel Bearing, cracked control arm. Engine mounts wear

Really fun to drive. Lots of feel though steering wheel. Can be used as a autocross car and a daily driver. head turner

IF you have a SVTF I would recommend a few preventative maintenance tweaks that will save you some money. Lamin-x fog light covers upgraded tires if you are going to drive the car hard ECU RE FLASH! This is a must if the previous owner modified the car The only thing I wish I would change about my focus is that It had more comfortable seats. The non Recaro SVTF seats are very unforgivable for long distance As long as you change the oil, put 91 octane in it, keep a eye on the transmission fluid, and make sure the engine mounts are steady the car will run forever and does not need much improvements.

This car has been amazing! I will miss it!
By tara82

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 8 years, it has been amazing, I was actually looking to see what the reviews of my car were like to know whether to take other car model/brand reviews with a grain of salt.
I figured that many reviews would be from angry consumers whom may not have had the average experience with their vehicles. It seems that way to me so far because I have so little issues with this car that I am actually scared to sell it, but we are running out of space and planning to have a second child, so -we need a bigger vehicle. Our car has 165K and still runs great. I found it had less serious/cheaper repairs than our 1990 toyota tercel.

Reliability, cruise contorol, power windows and sporty feel. HUGE trunk, can fit a large stroller and groceries in it.

Slightly more leg room for the back seat would be nice, it is not ideal for car seats.

The Only Focus I'd defend in a argument
By svt4life87

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car! I only recommend SVT model nowadays if you're ever looking for an american sport compact from ford. While I drove other Focuses of the same generation this model was the one that melt my heart. At first the car may seem perfect but as the years roll on, the mainenance can be costly when looking for spare parts but I'm not talking price but finding the parts which is why as long as you stay on top of the mainenance (as with any car) you'll have little heartache as the proud owner of a Focus.

Great suspension. I love it not just for performance but also for safety reasons. Where I live bad drivers are infamous and this thing has dodged many possible disasters. Thought the Zetec engine is of my preference I respect how far it came along compared to the previous incarnations of it. The interior is great! The Red/ Black and Blue/ Black interior offered with these cars are often mistaken for being custom which says a lot for a Foci.

The stock audio system is so-so. I love the explod speakers and amp but the stock radio receiver had to go. The headlights and rear bumper were a bit of a drag which is why I'd recommend the 03-04 model if you're bothered by the bland headlights.