Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

This car has been amazing! I will miss it!
By tara82

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 8 years, it has been amazing, I was actually looking to see what the reviews of my car were like to know whether to take other car model/brand reviews with a grain of salt.
I figured that many reviews would be from angry consumers whom may not have had the average experience with their vehicles. It seems that way to me so far because I have so little issues with this car that I am actually scared to sell it, but we are running out of space and planning to have a second child, so -we need a bigger vehicle. Our car has 165K and still runs great. I found it had less serious/cheaper repairs than our 1990 toyota tercel.

Reliability, cruise contorol, power windows and sporty feel. HUGE trunk, can fit a large stroller and groceries in it.

Slightly more leg room for the back seat would be nice, it is not ideal for car seats.

The Only Focus I'd defend in a argument
By svt4life87

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car! I only recommend SVT model nowadays if you're ever looking for an american sport compact from ford. While I drove other Focuses of the same generation this model was the one that melt my heart. At first the car may seem perfect but as the years roll on, the mainenance can be costly when looking for spare parts but I'm not talking price but finding the parts which is why as long as you stay on top of the mainenance (as with any car) you'll have little heartache as the proud owner of a Focus.

Great suspension. I love it not just for performance but also for safety reasons. Where I live bad drivers are infamous and this thing has dodged many possible disasters. Thought the Zetec engine is of my preference I respect how far it came along compared to the previous incarnations of it. The interior is great! The Red/ Black and Blue/ Black interior offered with these cars are often mistaken for being custom which says a lot for a Foci.

The stock audio system is so-so. I love the explod speakers and amp but the stock radio receiver had to go. The headlights and rear bumper were a bit of a drag which is why I'd recommend the 03-04 model if you're bothered by the bland headlights.

Piece of JUNK
By jcstubbs

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We actually have the automatic transmission, it wasn't an option though. We bought this car at 99k, now at 109k we have replaced more than we could ever imagine in this beater (granted, we knew we would need to replace a few things). Replaced both back window motors, replaced the alternator, replaced two separate pieces related to the radiator (both of them exploded while driving, shooting radiator fluid everywhere) not to mention, 3 of these things broke while driving and left us stranded. We fixed a leaky transmission, the valve gasket cover was leaking oil. It dies while idling- it also continues to accelerate even when NOT pushing on the gas pedal, thus eating up our brakes. Don't buy it

Nothing

Everything

one of the best cars i've owned
By ford_351

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When I was 16 my parents gave me a 2002 Focus Wagon SE they had since brand new at 154k miles. Me being dumb at the time and still in Highschool, I beat the living hell out of it on the back roads like nobody would believe and it just kept going and going. Timing belt finally went and then the motor was toast. That's the only major problem with these cars if you have the 2.0 DOHC engine, you HAVE to replace the timing belt every 70k miles.

4 1/2 years later I'm a mechanic and happend to come across another 02 Focus again for a price I couldn't pass up. With 192k miles this car runs / drives so smooth and quiet I couldn't believe it. Just replaced the timing belt today for peace of mind.

My dad is 6'1" and back in 02 he had a very hard time finding a car he could fit in without hitting his head on the celing, until he found this car.

Will not idle, along with other problems
By paleblueeeyes

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought in 2001. I didn't drive it for the first year. So I got 2 good year of driving before it just went down hill. just a few months after the warranty went out.
The front springs started making horrible noises. CD player ate CDs. Replaced
4 years alternator needed changing. Engine has to come out to do it. $$$
5 years it started doing this thing where it will not idle if you get out for five minutes after driving it for a short time. You have to wait 20 minutes to work or keep it idling at 1000rpm and drive it like a stander. I had everything under the hood changed and nothing helped. Still doing it 6 1/2 years later
10 1/2 years the alternator needs changing again
DONE. Getting new car

Ok gas mileage.

Arm rest broke between year 3 and 4. Made cheap. Cup holders in a bad spot.Forgot to say that between 4 and 6 years, 3 out of my 4 windows motors broke. The seal started leaking on doors. Not sure where. Sometime not always the floors will get wet when it rains and leave a nice mildew smile. Ruined pictures I had in the car. Thanks ford. I dislike this car and is really surprised that I have kept it 10 1/2 years. buying a new car, maybe Honda, this week. NOT FORD. Not ever again.