Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Bang for the buck
By mrdestefano

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Driven it for 6 years with no major problems. For $14.5k new, it was a great deal. I have the manual transmission and it is a fun car to drive. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have fit into it with all the seats down. I am pretty good about checking the mileage and get 24/28 for city/hw.

Cargo space, handling.

MPG not the greatest for the size of the car (I think they improved this with later models though).

Average car with some big goofs
By mad chalet

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used a year ago. I liked the look of the car, the format, and I have heard good things about it from Euro owners. After owning it for a year I have discovered cosmetic problems and handling problems, as well as build problems. The carpeting doesn't match the contour of the body so it is pulling away from the trim, and actually tearing. The rear suspension is dangerous, skipping across bumps instead of absorbing them. There are lots of rattles caused by poorly fit plastics. The transmission is okay, but could shift more smoothly - it seems to be hunting for the right gear sometimes, with reluctance to downshift (you have to 'punch' the pedal)

The appearance and carrying capacity.

Better rear shocks. More room for the rear seats. Head rests for the rear. Better transmission. I'm concerned about what I've heard/read about limited tire availability due to odd size, making tires

Love it
By Kat

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in new in 2003. got a great deal on the leftover!I love this car. Its alot of fun to drive. Ive had a few minor issues. Had to replace the battery 3 times in 5 years and the oxygen sensor once. Overall though I love this car and will definitely buy another.

6 disc CD changer, maneuverability, reliability.

None

Bang for your buck!!
By Army19k

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Recently getting back from Iraq, I felt like I needed something that would be suit me performance wise and in style. I had done so many months of research and was looking at the Nissan SE-R Spec V and Civic SI-R. But when I came across the Focus SVT I was quite impressed with the performance and standard options. Styling of this car interior wise is awesome. When you stomp on the gas you get pushed back in your seat. 0-60 in 7 seconds and the tuned suspension makes the car handle so amazing. Now, the check engine light is one of the pains that come with this car. The IMRC and O2 sensors always seem to cause problems but usually aren't anything huge. Aftermarket for this car are endless.

6 Speed Getrag tranny. Engine performance is awesome!

Fix IMRC problem and wind noise can be annoying. Make factory turbo option.

When they are bad, they are really bad
By D&J

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. The fule mileage has been awful. I am a conservative driver and have had it to the dealer multiple times with no result. The car stalls, randomly downshifts, and has had to have a fuel pump replaced. I went with a Ford because I trusted that they really had improved. What a disapointment. My 16 year old Camry with 160,000 miles is more reliable and gets better gas mileage. Check these cars very carefully. I have friends that love theirs, but when there is a problem, the car is a real pain in the rear. Oh, and the 16 inch rims make new tires far more expensive, so consider getting the other model with the 15 inch rims to save some money.

Decent display and cockpit. Would say the radio, but we've had to replace three of them.

Serious quality control.