Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Fun to drive, but not solidly built.
By BelleCat

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car 2 years old, and was blown away by the power and performance of this little gem compared to the Kia Rio that I had just test driven. The handling is superb; it's just so much fun to drive! The size of the car is really deceiving from the outside. I have moved a 6 ft countertop in this thing! I'm a little disappointed with some of the repairs I had to do: O2 sensor, new tires (60K mile warranty, ha!), completely new brakes down to the rotors. It is now in the shop again because the acceleration died last week. The carpet is also pulling away from the trim and the rubber seals around both front doors have cracked and are coming loose. Still, not bad for 6 years old!

Great design, tons of trunk space, fold-down back seats, great handling, fun to drive.

I replaced the stereo within the first week. Seems to be in the shop more and more lately. Does not offer a very smooth ride. Lots of road noise.

A not so Economy Car
By Pele

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a poorly build car, plain and simple. I have had to replace the ignition switch twice and just finished rebuilding the tranny and theirs only 54000 miles on the car. I could accept that maybe we were unlucky and got a dud, but my brother in law has one and has had similar problems.

Spacious interior and lots of trunk space for a compact sedan.

Try building a reliable vehicle. Three major repairs on a 5 1/2 year old car is too many.

Not Economical for an Economy Car
By NB

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you drive very gently, you can attain 32 mpg hwy/18 mpg city. Ford dealership seems to think this normal for this car. This car is not fuel efficient for its class, and I hope to get rid of it as soon as I pay it off. The second time I brought the car in to be repaired for leaking coolant, I was told that this make/model is prone to problems with the cooling system. In 3 yrs I've had it leaking large amounts of coolant from two different locations at two different times. If you buy this car, avoid getting the "sporty" wheels (I bought it used, so choice was made for me). They are very expensive to replace.

Turn radius is so tight I can pull a U-turn straight out of a parallel parking spot. Inside is roomy for a compact.

Fuel economy. There's no excuse for its poor mpg city value, and extreme dependence on driving technique for what little economy you get. Remove blind spot caused by post between front and back windows. Improve cruise control system. (Car overreacts to hills) Redesign head rest to be comfortable.

Never Again!!
By Nick

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Oh boy. Where do I begin with this car. It is by far the WORST car I have ever owned. I bought it for the better gas mileage... ha. My 99' Grand Am with 216K gets better gas mileage and is more reliable. This car has been in the shop for everything it could possibly go for. The motor mounts don't last. Had them replaced 3 times in the past year. New tires like crazy! I was told it is a Focus thing but had 3 sets put on in the past year. The stereo sounds GREAT!!! When it works. The 6 disk has been changed out 4 times. alternator, sway bar, motor mounts, door locks, electrical system, fuel system, you name it. I am sure it has gone wrong. I will NEVER buy a ford again and would NOT recommend it

Driving position.

Quit making them. That is the only way you will stop the problems... seriously

Great on gas, bad in snow.
By ScottK.

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had my Focus for one year and put on 15k. I didn't have any mechanical issues at all. The car was great on gas, about 25-36mph, city/highway. The car was unstable at highway speeds in snow even though it had traction control. I crashed the car in snowy conditions and was able to walk away with only 2 small scratches. I'd get another one, but wouldn't drive it long distances in poor winter weather.

Great gas mileage! Lots of cargo room for a small car.

Very unstable in poor winter weather at higher speeds compared with heavier cars.