Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Use caution
By jon wheatley

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Second hand purchase. A good buy although the clutch needed replacing after only 68,000 miles. Rear window motor needed replacing although it was barely used - not cheap. Nice for the money. You could buy two of these for a little more than it would cost for one Toyota, and be better off. Good handling and visibility, good heat. Not much pickup; give yourself room on the freeway. Caution: when you drive this car in snow, you're going to feel like you're on roller skates!

I survived and so will you
By Adrienne

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car for travel, commuting, and the large cargo space. I never thought it would save my life. After performing above industry spec for four years my car was hit head on and broadsided. Both air bags deployed, crumple zones crumpled and center bars held. I was able to climb out of my car the other to cars did not hold up as well. While searching for a new car there was only one car to look at the Ford Focus, now I just have to decide which model I want. I highly recommend it for teenagers and mothers with young kids. Trips to home depot and the grocery store in this car never left me wondering where things might fit.

Cruise control for long distant trips, gauges large and readable, and the roomy interior.

Split seat cargo

Great until now
By Matt in Portland Ore

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Vehicle has been great up to now. It has 75,000 miles. I have driven a mix of city and highway with minimal problems. A few weeks ago the car begain sputtering upon starting. Typically it would go away in a few minutes. This past Monday it got worse. When I pushed the accelerator it was as though it was not connected. Mechanic replaced the ignition coil but this did not solve the problem. They do not know what the problem is.

Leather seats, sun roof, stereo, exterior look

Too much road noise. Engine longevity

I'd do it again
By In a ZTS

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car new in 2002 and I'd do it again. It has pep and rides and drives great. The controls are easy to operate and the overall comfort is nice on trips. The few minor issues were corrected within warranty. Maintenance has been easy and that's a lot said at 100K miles. I have considered trading recently, but with the economy being so volatile I am quite comfortable staying in my Focus. I have every confidence in it getting me where I need to go. The mileage is OK: 26 average in town and 29- 31 on the hwy. I've had 2 fairly major accidents and feel confident in the safety of the car.

Handling, pep and ease of use of features. Trunk space. Low maintenance costs.

Add a seat release inside the car for the rear seats. Make the headrest more comfortable. While the sound system is great, the volume control and CD changer have never worked consistently well.

Small Price = Good Buy
By firefighter28jfc

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ZX3 7 years ago at age 16 and have only encountered one problem with it besides regular maintainence. At 36K, the front half-shafts went bad, but since they were replaced, it's been smooth sailing. I have made many engine modifications, as well as bigger wheels and a lower suspension, and the car has been fantastic. This vehicle is really worth the money.

Gutsy little 4 cylinder coupled with 5 speed manual with decent MPG's, excellent in the snow with some good tires.

A standard 6 Speed transmission would have been nice.