Used 2001 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (93 reviews )

great handling but mechanical trouble
By Scott

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have experienced quite a few mechanical issues with this car and I would not buy another.

Great handling, tons of room for cargo in the hatch.

A little more power, more lumbar support (though not a huge issue), more reliably built.

Great Car/Bad Brakes
By Dan

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, but watch out for the brakes especially the front brake pads that go quickly. Also the radio tend to be cheap. My wife and I both own 2001 Focus cars and have found that they both experience the same troubles at almost the same exact time. I have enjoyed this car, but hate the dealership and the service they provide.

5 speed handling.

Better braking system and audio system.

It's costing me now
By laura4953

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the first car I ever bought. I researched it and got a fairly decent deal. However I've had a lot of mechanical problems with it. It was at the dealer for a week cause it wouldn't start. And more recently it hss taken to not starting and sporadically stalling. I took it to 1 dealer and they claimed the stalling was from a faulty fuel pump and fixed it under warranty. Two weeks later it was still stalling and I took it to another dealer, because I moved, and it's been there for over a month and they have no clue what's wrong with it. A real mind boggler they said. I've spent a fortune in rental and repairs and its still broken. All I can say is I'm never buying Ford again!

I like the layout of the interior. And there's plenty of room in the car.

The radio buttons stick and half don't work. So I hope they fixed the radio. And if they could make the car so that it was reliable in starting and wouldn't stall.. that would be great.

Brian's Focus
By bjhfla

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus gets great gas mileage. As far the interior of the car I think it's cheap and does not wear well. The engine is great, the A/C is no good; it stopped working after a year and half. Have never had problems with tire wear. I had gotten 55,000 on the first set and are only on my 2nd set. As of now, I would most likely not buy another Ford product when I do go to get a new car.

this car is better than its reputation
By JLS

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of my Focus. I have been driving it for 3-4 years. It is not the fastest car at the light, but you knew that. It is however, a great deal: once it gets going, it really goes; reliable, responsive, handles extremely well (I live in the midwest and laugh at many when I pull easily out of snow), and easy at the gas pump. All in all, a great little car.

Maneuverability, reliability. What more needs to be said about any car.

Change the head rests.