Used 2001 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (93 reviews )

2001 ZX3 base 5 speed with A/C
By spudjack

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 4/02 with 7,800 miles. On 6/06 have 24,500 miles. So far have had 2 or 3 recalls done. Have letters for 2 or 3 service bulletins. Like my Focus but only rate this vehicle average. Problems so far; faulty gas cap covered under warranty and the hood release under the dash board disintegrated and had to be replaced. Biggest complaint about this car is the a/c. It does not get very cold. Have dark interior and finally had the windows tinted to keep the heat down on hot days. Average 28-30 mpg in blended driving. Would buy a Focus ZX3 again but would have to be 2003 or newer.

I'm 6'3 so I like the seat height handle on the drivers side.

Better mpg, build quality, colder a/c.

Still Focused
By Hombre

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm the original owner and after 5 years and 60,000 miles I'd definitely do it again! Zero problems, couldn't be happier with my purchase. I can't believe all these Focus horror story reviews. Maybe I got the only good one produced in 2001. Sorry 'bout your luck.

Reliability, gas mileage, standard equipment...and with the 5 speed, a blast to drive.

None.

My mechanic loves my Focus
By carfocus

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 3 years and it has been nothing but one mechanical problem after another. Issues: brakes, brakes, brakes; alternator; the ignition went bad; electrical system issues, stalling. Its only saving grace is its handling and pep. It is fun to drive, when it runs. Car is not reliable, can't wait to get rid of this lemon.

Handling.

Better reliability. Currently non-existent.

Pretty Impressed!
By ZX3

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ZX3 with hesitation, but it has paid off in the end. A Honda Civic would have been a lot more than what I paid for my ZX3, and it doesn't look nearly as good! Only major problem was my ignition locked up, but not very expensive to replace and it was fixed in a few hours. Gas mileage isn't as good as I would have expected. I have 80,000 miles on the car and no more problems yet. I'm 6'2 and have plenty of head room. I can even sit in the back with comfort. With the back seats folded down, it is amazing what will fit in the back of a ZX3. Overall a great car and I would recommend it to anybody. I think next time I'm going to go for the SVT so I can blow by all those Civic SI's!

Exterior and interior styling. Sporty and fun to drive. Good sound system.

Make the front seats more comfortable for the long trips. Get rid of the exterior plastic trim pieces. And of course...more HP and Torque with better gas mileage.

2001 ZX3 Review
By G. Brown

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had car since new, few problems. Nice roads manners and driveability for compact car. Would not have a problem buying another. Needs a little more horse power, 50 more would be good. :) I thought the ZX3 design was cutting edge in 2001, now all manufacturers have one that looks like the ZX3. Average 21-22 mpg city, 28-29 highway.

Design, good gas mileage.

More HP.