Used 2001 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

If bought a rebuilt in an Emergency.
By TheNIGHTCRAWLER

2001 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a car on the spot. A mechanic rebuilt this wrecked car for his wife. I bought it from him as he was moving into the soccer mom SUB stage of life. He replaced the ignition and suspension and life is good. I would have bought this car whether or not anybody signed off on it. They did. Bare bones and gets me where I have to go dependably. This works for me. Note: It's an automatic. the green button under the shifter turns off the overdrive. The child safety locks on the rear doors still confuse me. No children. Anti-theft key is nice. I like to date. Basic car is a keeper.

Anti-theft key, mpg (~30), COST - Around 3K. Manual windows. replace that motor a couple of times and. Give me manual, and not the transmission.

It's a car. Replace the ignition switch, already done before purchase, ME, and the original sound system sucks. PERIOD. Put a place for 6X9's in the back if someone is looking for suggestions. I can put them in, make me room to do so. The door speakers are off the chart awful!

Saved My Life, Twice
By Shay

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has saved my life two times. The first time, I was in a hit and run accident with a semi-truck the same year I purchased the car. The second time was two weeks ago, and the man who ran into me totaled my car. Luckily, my unborn child and I walked away unharmed (mild chemical burn on hand from airbag). In the beginning the car was fantastic but towards the end (103,000 mi) the CD player failed, I had to get my fuel pump replaced (recall), and the electrical system kept failing. I started pouring lots of $$$ into it. I think of this as a blessing that my car is totaled now. It was a good first car, but now I am moving on to something better.

Gas Mileage+++, Tight Steering, Safety+++, Interior Room

The electrical system is a huge failure. There are too many recalled parts, and those recalls do not cover even 1/2 of the problems. You can find a better car for the money.

Terrible car.
By Tman

2001 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with around 30,000 miles on it. And ever since it's been one problem after another! We've had to replace all 4 tires nearly every 16 months! The upper engine mount has needed to be replaced twice. The passengers side strut needed to be replaced 3 times. The radio goes off intermittently and you need to push the faceplate back in. the ignition wasn't working right. The car sputters sporadically. It doesn't like to start on rainy days. has bad gas mileage for a 4 cyl. It's poor in the snow. the a/c stopped working and won't stay charged. The list goes on and on. The car was designed by monkeys. It's a piece of junk, we will NEVER buy a ford again

comfortable front seats.

User better plastic and better parts. Better yet, Scrap the entire ford line of cars and start over. A preschooler could design a better car.

This car can be one fun ride! Not hwy
By Joe

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

You'll want this car if you steer a lot. If you take most of your time on the highways, not so much. You might yell at it to accelerate a bit faster and without such a big grunt just to go from 45-60. But if you steer: It's like very smooth butter being sliced on bread. Steering = city streets and curved roads. It is reliable. 9 years only 1 repair. Sure, its suffered tire damage. But it spent most of its life in NYC! In a backyard full of nails and who knows what! That's to be expected! Sure its got just 50k and we treated it well, sort of. It's been in an accident once struck by a large car going 40mph on the side. What happened? The left door creaks. That's it. Perfect otherwise!

AMAZING handling, roomy for its small size, reliability, safety.

BRING THE EURO FOCUS! The current American one is junk! Rubbish, I tell ya!

01 focus a great car
By dan

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy owning and driving my 01 Focus zx3. Fun to drive, gets great gas mileage. Very dependable. Overall great car. Even with the 2dr I can fold down back seat and haul some pretty big stuff!

Fun to drive, gas mileage 30 mpg like clock work. Even better on pure hwy and easy driving. Best ever 36 mpg.

only complaint would be need more room around cup holders for larger drinks. i know they improved that in later models.