Used 2001 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (93 reviews )

I Used To Praise It
By bonnilass

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm now 60 years old. This car had 50k miles on it and was 4 y/o when I got it. Everything that could go wrong on this car has gone wrong twice in the 5 years I've had it (now 118k)and again I am facing motor mounts, a timing belt, a new head gasket the shifter came off at the base, the suspension trashed, CV joints, cooling system problems, numerous strange rattles, and the stereo pops out on the right side when I accelerate so it's taped into place. The wind whistles through every crack, and conversation in the cabin is not fun. It's a MONEY PIT $$$$ that knows no bounds, at least $1500 per year on the average. Unfortunately most of it hits all at once. I'm saddened by it's performance.

It's Bright yellow. After tinting the windows, putting a couple of personal decals on it and fancy wheels. I felt like a kid again. The fold down back seats create a lot of room; perfect for lightweight hauling. It's spunky & cute.

Due to the age of this vehicle, I'm sure Ford has learned enough from this vehicle that they don't need my advice on improving it.

Garbage
By bg

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had 13k miles on it and was 5 y/o when purchased. Thought the proverbial little old lady must have owned it. How mistaken I was. A/c out 6 months later. Cooling system problems, electrical problems, bearing problems, fuel pump, door panels rattle (this will drive you slowly insane), brake problems, motor mounts all replaced, transmission mounts. Need I say more?

hatch

outsource to India. maybe they can put it together correctly. or maybe the engineering makes that impossible.

01 focus a great car
By dan

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy owning and driving my 01 Focus zx3. Fun to drive, gets great gas mileage. Very dependable. Overall great car. Even with the 2dr I can fold down back seat and haul some pretty big stuff!

Fun to drive, gas mileage 30 mpg like clock work. Even better on pure hwy and easy driving. Best ever 36 mpg.

only complaint would be need more room around cup holders for larger drinks. i know they improved that in later models.

Fun but hot!
By KRANKIZZ

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I own my 2001 Focus for almost 7 yrs never lets me down even if there's a problem with the car . I have this car overheat like 5 times, the problem the my car have is the radiator that's about it . This car have 19,000k and still good as new fast motor. That's the good thing about a good motor the is been taken good care! Love your Focus!

Too fast good on fast turns and save you on gas!

Best Ford of the last decade
By dewey

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As I approach 200,000 miles on this car I have no regrets, except it replaced a beloved 20 year old Fiesta.Aside from regular service it is only now having more issues, but I am only thinking of replacing it with one of the last years the hatchback was available. My car was rare and special, I ordered it with stability control, 4 wheel disc and ABS and traction control. With snows it performed superb in winter driving. Even 10 years old, the styling is undated. The car had a solid build, compared to many Fords in it's day, and even with all the miles the car looks new. Excellent fuel economy, dependable, I would recommend to anyone.

Good looks, European handling, great gas mileage

Many safety features are optional rather than standard.