Used 2001 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Worst Car Ever
By marigoldsb

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. It had 10,000 miles on it. It now has 220,000. I've had nothing but problems. It was recalled several times. I had many problems with the fuel pump when I first got the car. I replaced the EGR valve sensor 4 or 5 times. The turn signal will not turn off by itself. I had this fixed once, but it broke again.
The passenger side window has broken twice.
The passenger side seat will not recline. The radio randomly turns off. I've replaced tires, rotors, brakes and shocks multiple times. The ignition recently just broke and had to be replaced. Sometimes the front doors will not open from the outside so I have to climb in through the back. Wheel bearing broke 4 times.

Drives like a go cart. Good gas mileage.

Parts that don't break.

My ZX3 is a great vehicle
By tjnugent

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle new in 2001 (Focus ZX3 hatchback; 5-speed manual with no air conditioning or electric windows).
This is the best car I've ever owned.
We now have over 225,000 miles on the car with little maintenance.
By keeping up on the oil changes/tune-up's, we've had no major issues other than changing out the ignition once while it was still under warranty.
Great mpg (30-40 avg overall); I mostly drive freeway.
We're considering buying a 2013 as a replacement vehicle for our 2000 Focus SE sedan (bought it used; automatic w/electric everything; it has too many issues now at 180,000 mi).
The ZX3 is a wonderful car.
I would recommend the version I purchased.
It's a keeper!

Reliable car; great handling and mpg (30-40 avg). Glad I purchased the basic version (5-speed manual w/no electric windows/air conditioning, etc). Best car I've ever owned.

N/A; continue to offer the basic model with a hatchback and no electric windows.

Great drivetrain - too bad its a rust bucket
By kopandem9305

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my SE Wagon in 2008 with 155,000 miles on it from a private sale for $2,500. 5 years later, it now has 230,000 miles on it and is still running great... but unfortunately the New England winters have taken their toll and the car cannot even be safely lifted on a jack anymore. Would cost thousands to get the proper body work done, so going with a newer car. Mechanic even told me 12 months ago "this will probably be your final sticker, you won't want to pay the bill next year." That said, the car got me this far very reliably, with very little cost. I got 30 MPG, the only repairs/maintenance I did was oil changes, brake and tire replacement. I feel I got a great value in the 5 years.

Reliability, the fact that the engine/transmission run great, very few repairs, very smooth ride, lots of space in the wagon interior. I used the roof-racks to haul 4X12' drywall panels without any issues (with help of 2X4s). Unfortunately, biggest complaints with the new 2013 Focuses are that the auto-trannies are crap and dying after 10,000 to 20,000 miles... main thing keeping me from buying another. This car, I have 230,100 on original engine + auto transmission...

Make car more corrosion-resistant. Car was washed in winter but still the body is junk after 11 years. Many cars here are much older and bodies in much better shape. Also went through plate-light holders like crazy due to corrosion of the holder - replaced 3 times, not expensive but time-consuming. However, I would say if you don't live in the rust-belt, then this is a very good car and a great value.

Very Reliable
By tjh9

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my '01 Focus Wagon SE from a dealership in 2011 with ~190,000 mi on it for $2850. It has been almost 2 years now and this car has given me almost no grief.

The A/C went out once (A/C is a luxury anyways, who cares?), front coil springs had to be replaced, and the muffler hit the ground once while going over a speed bump (temporarily fixed it with shoelaces, haha)

All in all, great performance; great value!

I would prefer larger rims/tires (scraped the underneath of the vehicle going on a slightly-uneven gravel road--ouch!), and also wish the interior was a little more friendly for tall folks (it was somewhat hard to get comfortable driving when I first purchased this vehicle).

Bad and Worse
By pc1967

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Basically purchased it used for $3200, 20k miles later, after regular oil changes and sensible driving habits. It dropped the #4 valve seat effectively destroying the head and piston below the valve. This was the 2.0 SPI a.k.a split port engine.

Do not buy a 01 Focus if the 8th VIN digit is a letter P without signed documented proof from the dealer that the valve seats have been replaced with the improved design period!!

Ford should have seriously recalled this vehicle from the start. The only good thing that came out of this is, that I purchased a Toyota Yaris after this heap blew up.

If Ford gave me a shiny new Focus, Id sell it and get another Toyota right there on the lot.

None it was a daily driver supposedly reported to be reliable according to edmunds. "cough not"

A official apology from Ford, and a recall regarding the faulty valve seats installed.