Used 2001 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Don't buy this year
By Heather

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Since I got this car I have had to replace a fuel pump (recall but still stunk), and am now having to mess with my transmission. I don't know if it is just my car or all 2001 Focuses, but I hate it.

The car body except what my dealership didn't fix properly after a wreck. The grill now looks awful.

Fix all recalls and hire different people to work at the dealership, sales people are great but the repair shop people stink!

It's costing me now
By laura4953

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the first car I ever bought. I researched it and got a fairly decent deal. However I've had a lot of mechanical problems with it. It was at the dealer for a week cause it wouldn't start. And more recently it hss taken to not starting and sporadically stalling. I took it to 1 dealer and they claimed the stalling was from a faulty fuel pump and fixed it under warranty. Two weeks later it was still stalling and I took it to another dealer, because I moved, and it's been there for over a month and they have no clue what's wrong with it. A real mind boggler they said. I've spent a fortune in rental and repairs and its still broken. All I can say is I'm never buying Ford again!

I like the layout of the interior. And there's plenty of room in the car.

The radio buttons stick and half don't work. So I hope they fixed the radio. And if they could make the car so that it was reliable in starting and wouldn't stall.. that would be great.

No problems after warranty
By Sqoug

2001 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Focus seems to be the opposite of the usual. I have had quite a few problems with it in the first 36k miles, but after that no problems at all. The things that failed were: - hood was repainted because someone at the dealership dented it, - dash was replaced because of weird squeaks in hot weather, - alternator failed and was replaced, - rear wheel bearing seized and was replaced, - engine computer was reprogrammed - engine hesitated in the 2k-3k rpm range. But I had no problems after 36k miles. I do all the maintenance on the car. Stock tires lasted about 32k miles, and front brake pads lasted about 35k miles.

Good suspension and handling. Good looks.

Better quality of the dealerships. For example, when the rear wheel bearing was replaced they messed up the brakes (left a piece of plastic in the brake). As result, the brake seized few months later while I was driving

ARRRRGGGHHHHH!
By NoMoreFords!!!!

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Another gremlin in the electrical system is blowing the resistor that controls the A/C & blower. Other gremlins have been blowing out tail lamp bulbs every 3-5 months. The dealers are useless. The car is on its 3rd set of brake pads & rotors in the front. The car arrived with the power lock controls not plugged in. The wheel bearings have been replaced. The air bypass control valve has been replaced. The dealer's collision center took a month & many return trips to fix minor rear end damage. The dealer closed the hood with the prop up & tried to return the car the corner of the hood sticking up ... other minor problems. Gee, only 40 months old & 57k miles. Better buy that Honda or Toyota soon.

Love the handling, ergonomics and styling, wish it was more reliable.

Wrecking ball dropped from 10 storys, Ford buying the car back so I can purchase a Honda or Toyota.

Not entirely happy
By cpence

2001 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It has basically been a decent vehicle, but I've already had to replace the rack and pinion and the cv joints. Not good for a car that new. It's not like I go off roading in it. I'm pretty sure I won't buy another Ford. The Focus was my first and will be my last Ford. It does get good mileage for gas and runs well. I'm just not impressed with it. Not a good car for taller men. Almost impossible to fit a baby car seat in the back. The seats aren't comfortable either. They slump you forward.

I do think it's a cute car. It's great for shorter people. Good stereo sound for factory stereo.

Better shaped seats.