Used 2000 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (74 reviews )

Better Car than most in class
By jimKC

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Owned mine since new in 2000. Other than recalls that I think are positive, I've had a few minor repairs except for a transmission cylinder. Replaced front rotors at 50,000 miles of mostly city driving. Much less problems than 2 VWs I've owned but more than the Toyotas. But then again I only paid $13,500 new.

Handling, rivals most sports compacts twice the price. Hatchback utility, carries more than small SUVs. Mileage, 25-26: pure city, 31-33: highway depending on load and speed.

Bad am radio reception, poor cupholder position. Better original equipment tires.

Hasbro makes better cars.
By DDB365

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

This was my first new car and it was a nightmare. Within the first three weeks it sound like my left rear wheel was about to fall off, my hazard lights kept blinking nonstop, my brakes kept sqeaking really loud all the time, the ignition cylinder broke, and I had to pay $100 for a pair of new keys because they have a stupid chip in them. My lumbar seat lever broke on both sides, my rear seat belts didn't work, my sun visor screws came out, my rear tail light cover melted because the light bulb over heated. These cars have really cheap parts. Same on Ford; you would think after all of these years of experience Ford has they would have made a better product.

The steering is really good, and the suspension until the bushings, and tie rods wear out.

Everything but the steering and suspension.

Mixed bag
By dbf

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Focus since I bought it new in 2000. Unless you really can't afford otherwise, I don't think that I would recommend it. Maybe I got a lemon, but every problem I've seen on this site, I've had, and it's only got 36,000 on it (after 5 years!). Lots of recalls, but major mechanical problems (heating core, trans, various bizarre coils and tubes and valves). You really don't save that much on the sticker after all of the repairs. Also, it was fast & fun to drive for the first two years, then consistently idled high, was sluggish and generally seems to be dying, despite going in for repairs once a month these days. Ford service (especially dealers) is abysmal. Sad part is that I'm attached to it.

Affordability (initially); room (carried a couch in there once); handled well early on. Has handled increasingly worse over the years and the various repairs are expensive.

Not sure if this has been corrected in later models but this car keeps falling apart in increments. Major structural mechanical overhaul needed. And yeah, the cupholders are really stupidly placed.

Focus was good for first year, stinks now
By Manfredo Sauce

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Saucy car but breaks down after a year. It was awesome in high school, then i had to keep going for recalls to the dealership, and a noise from the rear wheel never went away - even after having the dealership fix it 3 times in a row! They probably just sit around and wish I would forget about the problem but it's difficult when you're driving with noise in the back of your car and you get embarrassed when people ask you waht the noises are. It's fun to drive but the road noise is killing me. I wouldn't be surprised if my hearing decreased due to this car. All my family buys is Fords but i am disappointed.

The interior is really nice and so is the exterior. However after 20k the car will breakdown and multiple small things will start bothering you.

Road noise is causing my ear to ache. It's just as bad as the old Beetles with the engine in the back. i can't even hold a decent conversation when driving above 65mph. Noise in the back of the rear left tire is still there after bringing it to Ford dealer.

Selling because of key
By chr2000

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new and ignition
cylinder has had to be replaced 4
times. I put key in ignition and
won't turn. As I'm sure it will
happen again, I sell. Tired of
getting stuck and towed to a dealer
who tells me I don't know how to use a
key! Also, brake problems and rear
hatch lock goes twice. This car only
has 41,000 miles. After owning a
number of Ford products, won't buy one
again. This car has been a terrible
disappointment.

Excellent visiability and good for errands around town

Improve overall quality and address known problems.