Used 2000 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (74 reviews )

Massive Disappointment
By APL

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Test driving the ZX3 with manual transmission sold me on this car's fun to drive qualities. However, having owned many cars (including 3 Fords) I can honestly say this car was the biggest lemon I ever had the displeasure of owning. Over the course of 84k mile ownership I replaced the AC system, valve cover gasket, ignition mechanism, EGR valve. The car was fun to drive and got great gas mileage but left me stranded more times than every other car I have owned combined. Amazingly, mechanics and tow truck drivers could usually guess what my problem was because they had seen so many Focus with the same issues. It feels like the sun has shone brighter every day since I got rid of it!

Fun to drive, great gas mileage, lots of headroom, low purchase price.

Engine, transmission, brakes, just about everything else. Based my experience and on talking with other ownership victims I would guess a combination of ineffective design and poor quality control.

My ZX3 is a workhorse! I'm sad to sell!
By Chenago

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I've been driving my little ZX3 for seven years now. It has been a wonderful little car. Yes, it's true that I it had some recalls, but that's all over with. I can haul almost anything that I want. The purchase price and the cost of gas still don't add up to the cost of a hybrid. It will carve Highway 55 with the best of them and I'll pass them at the pump, because I'm getting 35 mpg. It has spunk in the city and cruises easily on the highway. The stereo rocks. In seven years I've replaced the battery, window crank and the ignition switch. I'm very sad that Ford isn't bringing back the ZX3 in '08, so I'm selling and purchasing a new '07. Here's to another seven years!

Big door for easy in and out. Very comfortable rear seat. Cargo room! Radio and CD player plays any scratched CD. Love how it hugs the road! I love the center console! Everyone I give rides to love the dash!

All cars should come with a very dark tint. It saves on A/C. It saves the interior of the car. I hope that Ford would move the oil filter to a better place. Limited-slip sifferential would be great to have for the snow and ice!

Never Again!
By mimibeth

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I will never again purchas a Ford vehicle. At 19 years old, the Ford Focus was the first vehicle that was truly 100% mine. Within the first week I received a notice in the mail regarding a fuel hose being recalled. It has all been downhill since then. I keep up to date with routine maintenance but in the past two years alone, I have had to replace the ignition, fuses, vents, seat adjustment handles, radiator, various parts of the transmission..the list goes on and on. Every time I brought it into the shop I was urged to get rid of my Focus. Thousands of dollars later, I'm finally listening! As soon as I trade this puppy in, I'm washing my hands not only of the Focus but of Ford entirely.

It fits into small/tight parking spaces.

I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Excellent until things start going wrong
By Bern

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Was working fine (power, mileage) until motor started to stall (and die) in the middle of the freeway (not fun). Ford dealer has no clue. Had 4 recalls performed, including a fuel delivery module replacement, and none solved the problem. Had to rent a car for 1 week while Ford tried to find the problem. In the end I bought a Toyota. Ford Focus 2000 is NOT a reliable car.

Size, horsepower, hatchback, interior space and comfort, design, audio sound quality.

Too many problems (electric system stinks: sensors, battery, onboard computer).

love/hate relationship
By AG

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I love my Ford Focus. I really enjoy the way it drives--that was what convinced me to buy it in the first place. However, I wouldn't recommend it. Not this model at least. Later years seem to be a bit more reliable. My car was three years old when I bought it, and I have now owned it for three years. I have put thousands of dollars of repairs into it. It has needed brake work on two separate occasions, as well as a new starter. This is not an old car! As soon as I can afford it I will be looking for a new car.

CD player comes standard. I love the way it drives.

More reliable!